Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Tailgate Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Wlightning3 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Tailgate Troubles

Excuse me I'm new here-not sure if I can keep posting on this thread since it involves the same issue or if I need to start a new thread ?

Anyhow I took the old tailgate apart a couple months ago-now that winters approaching I am scrambling to fix it. As I said in previous comment I purchased a new tailgate shell and the old ones tore apart. I now remember after I took out the window regulator (window was up to provide access to bolts) I inspected the cable and it was frayed. Tried cutting off the frayed outer part (inside cable was fine) and realized the cable wasn't strong enough to crank the gears with 2 inches of outer cable missing.

I removed I believe the transmission from the regulator (the geared part the cable goes into connected to the regulator). and thats when the arms that are spring loaded kicked back on me. The small gear will not turn by itself (I assume it's suppose to be strong to hold the window up) but it does turn if done by the cable. My regulator looks exactly like the one the administrator posted pictures of and the arms are in exactly in the same position. I'm awaiting the new cable and want to put this transmission back on the regulator. If I do it as is it wont be spring loaded it's like in a neutral position-if I pull the arms back to engage the spring-the regulator doesn't look like the posted pictures which I would assume the window was up when those pics were taken to provide access to the removing hardware.

If I put the transmission on without the spring load-will I be able to crank it back out and load the spring in the up position?

Or do I load the spring-put the trans on then crank it back to the open position?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have ONE heck of a time getting that spring back in there properly. There is a lot of tension on that thing. Typically, you have to wind it until you can't barely get it around, then go one more turn on it, it is that difficult. You should do it with the arms in the full up position to make it easier on you. I can get some more pictures if you'd like, but it may be more worth your time to source a replacement than mess with that coil spring.

And a note to ANYONE messing with a window regulator. Those springs have A LOT of energy stored up in them. DO NOT remove the drive gear from the system unless you have properly restrained the energy. This can be accomplished by drilling a hole through the regulator arm and frame and either using a bolt or other suitable device to keep the arm from moving. This goes for any movable window!

BTW, I moved this reply into a post of it's own rather than in that other thread. I think there is enough uniqueness that it warrants a new thread. Also, there are not a lot of us fullsize guys here so it may take a few days to get a response.