Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Trans. problem need help

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Black Diamond is on a distinguished road
Default Trans. problem need help

Ok, Im new here but an not new to the car scene nor the forum crowds, i have a 93 Full size and had a new transmission out in it, on complition of the trans being done it sat in the garage for 3 years cause i got a new jeep. I pulled it out and started to work on it again about 6 months ago, new tires, battey, etc. I drove it to work a couple of time and i was comeing home one day and it slipped, thought nothing of it and then i was takeing it the next day and it would not drive. I would put it in Drive and it would shift through 2nd then boom it would go to 5thousned RPMS, so i limped it back to the house in 2nd and now it sits. I talked to a couple of buddies and they said it might be the... i cant remember what they said. "it controls the shifting" and can be slide in and out..?? cant remember havent tried it cause i cant find one, But do you guys have any suggestions or thoughts on this..All help is greatly appriciated..

Thanks
-NICK

Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a shift solenoid has stuck in the transmission. Did you do the rebuild yourself? If not, then you probably should take it to someone that is good with the 4L60E for a proper diagnosis.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 PM

No i didnt do the build my-self, the shift selonoid huh.. what is the thing
on the side of the trans that controls the shifting and can be taken out??

Mine looks idenical to this one

Attached Thumbnails Trans. problem need help-100_0467.jpg  

Last edited by Black Diamond; 09-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Being a 93, you should have the 4L60E which is a full electronic transmission. There is nothing on the side of the transmission which controls shifting aside from the manual linkage to the gear shift lever in the truck, but this merely controls which gear you are in in terms of P, R, N, OD, D, 2, 1, but does not control the actual transition between the forward gears.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM

Yeah if im correct it was the first year for this electronic transmission stuff wasnt it..

Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Correct.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM

Ok, another question is there anyone on here or know of around the Tri-state area that sells transmissions? I can drop and install a new one but i would like to try a cheap used one..

Thanks man

-NICK