Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Two nerve racking noises.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member
Calamity is on a distinguished road

They are sticking out at an angel. Also, the thud noise got loud and now the front left side of my car is sagging. I'm f*cked... The thud noise is so loud you can hear it over the flow masters, said my neighbor.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:43 PM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

You have a car? ...

Sounds like you have been beating the hell out of you ride...

Going to the rear brakes... there are brake lines then there is a emergency brake cable. If your brake lines are disconnected then you are indeed F'ed. If it is just your e-brake cable you probably kicked up a stick or something that broke it.

Leaf springs should all be in line. They can move a little if you're flexing a bunch but not more than a 1/2". You should be able to re position them with a BFH.

Don't have a clue on the bracket you're talking about.

The leaning issue sounds like a broken leaf spring or shackle/bushing problem... Should be easy to see if you have a flashlight.

Have you checked your u-joints? With 7 inches of lift you should have an extended drive shaft too. Pinion angles, checked those?

So many problems it is tough to address them all, especially without pictures. I'm really surprised that you can't post pics from it, I can post pics from my Android phone...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Beginning Member

Well man, like I always say, if you ain't beating the hell outa it, you ain't using it right.
I have a few, this ones my beater.
But turns out my rear axel shifted to the right side of the car about half an inch.... I guess causing the leaf springs to fray out. The shift also screwed up the connection between the drive shaft and rear diff, that is causing a leak and most likely the knocking noise I'm hearing. The truck can't fit in my buddies gramps shop so I took it to where my parents go.
I think it's about time for new leaf springs anyways. But I have no clue how the hell I managed to shift the rear axle.
And about the brakes, it is my ebrake. It broke. Don't really need one anyways.
The U joints I replace a few weeks back. So those shouldn't be a issue.
But the truck is crawling with issues, part of the reason I named her Calamity.
And about the pictures, it's telling me I have to use the picture code which I do not know how to get off an IPad.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Beginning Member

Poped of the cap for the diff and I found a chunk of gear the size of a mouse along with a crap ton of metal dust.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Starting Member
THePaRaSiTE5771 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Calamity
Well man, like I always say, if you ain't beating the hell outa it, you ain't using it right.
Using your own words. I guess you could say you are using your truck the right way from all the damage you have done to it.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

my rear axel shifted to the right side of the car about half an inch.... I guess causing the leaf springs to fray out. The shift also screwed up the connection between the drive shaft and rear diff, that is causing a leak and most likely the knocking noise I'm hearing.
Your axle can't just move to the side a half an inch. Each leaf spring has a center pin. That pin will keep the spring on the center of the spring perch. The perches are welded to the axle tube. The springs are connected to the frame.

Either the connection between your springs and your frame are tweaked, bent rear shackle can cause this.

Or your spring perches moved on your axle tubes, don't think this is possible...

Or your spring pins broke which would also cause them to fray our because they are no longer attached to each other. This can happen if you don't check the torque on the spring u-bolts. If they are a little loose they can move and eventually break the center pin. Are the springs still centered on the spring perch?

And about the pictures, it's telling me I have to use the picture code which I do not know how to get off an IPad.
the picture code is just the URL of the photo wrapped with tags. Look at the picture in your browser, just the picture on it's own page then look at the http.www.your pictures address.com

In front of the URL put [img] and at the end of the URL put the same thing but with a hash mark [/img] then you will have a picture show up.

Or you can use photo bucket and it will give you the code.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Nak
Beginning Member
Nak is on a distinguished road

wrong thread... oops!