Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Converting manual tailgate to electric

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member
Anthrsckmnd is on a distinguished road
Default Converting manual tailgate to electric

I have a CUCV M1009 1986 blazer, and the tailgate was completely rusted out. I was able to get a replacement tailgate from craigslist, but it's an electric motor version. I know all the components work, I got the tailgate installed on my blazer, but the last step is the wiring. My blazer has no connections for the two harnesses that come out of the bottom of the tailgate. One wiring harness from the motor has a blue and a tan/white wire. The other harness has what looks like one black and one red wire that are attached to the key switch on the back of the tailgate. I also have the dashboard window switch, but it just has three terminals on the back which are not labeled. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can tell me what connections need to be made for the wires? thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please find the wiring schematic pertinent to the tailgate wiring attached:

Attached Thumbnails Converting manual tailgate to electric-86_k5_rear_window.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you so much, do you know what amp fuse is used to run the window motor? My fuse block doesn't have a label for the window motor.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a better view (see attached). The key switch in the tailgate is powered by the PWR ACCY circuit breaker (30A) which if my reference is correct, would be located just above the flasher in the fuse box. The switch in the dash is also powered by a 30A circuit breaker labeled WDO that would be located near the top of the fuse box.

Ofcourse, this is for the normal K5. I'm not sure what the fuse box in a M1009 looks like.

Attached Thumbnails Converting manual tailgate to electric-86_k5_rear_window2.gif  
Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks again for your help. I got a chance to check out my fuse box this afternoon. I have attached a pic for reference. It doesn't appear that there is any WDO slot on the fuse box in the M1009. I was thinking about connecting the wires to the "ign" slot in the top left corner and putting an in-line 30A fuse. I'm not super good with wiring, I just don't want to fry anything in my blazer. If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Administrator

You need to get two 30A circuit breakers. The power wire to the dash switch goes to an ignition source and the power wire to the tailgate key switch goes to a constant battery source.

If you are worried about frying something, run a 10ga wire from the battery back to the tailgate key switch and then run another 10ga wire from the battery to a relay that is triggered by an ignition source. This will limit the load on the ignition source if you do not know its origins.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you could have just took all the manual stuff out of the tailgate also. ive had so many headaches with power tailgates i actually prefer manuals now. also i dont think the m1009 had a hole for the tailgate switch up front i remember having to cut one out with a cut off wheel. or just run a 3 way toggle switch

the wiring is pretty easy. the motor grounds to the tailgate. one wire positive goes up the other wire positive makes it go down

Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member

Got it all wired up, but the motor has problems pushing it up. It will get the glass up, although it's slow. However, if I put the outer weatherstripping on, it cannot push the glass up all the way.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

make sure the window is going in the middle of the track in the fiberglass cap. ive owned a few k5s and after a few years of twisting the body around they body gets jacked up. my last k5 i owned i actually had to latch one side completely closed then leave the other on the 1 click for it to be lined up right and for the window to be rolled up all the way.

or it could just be the motor is old and weak.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 AM
chrisknight_1985 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a electric tailgate

Hey guys, I'm new too this site, so any help would be great. I'm looking for a electric tailgate for my CUCV, would any one know were i could get one? I would also be willing to let my manual one go as a partial trade if someone is looking for a manual tailgate. Any thoughts or ideas on were too get one or even convert mine would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!!!