General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1994 Blazer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Bathmite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1994 Blazer Problems

I purchased a 1994 Blazer with 66,000 original miles about a year ago and started having problems almost immediately. On the way home from the dealer the automatic window refused to go back up. After playing with it for while it did go up. Than about a week later I noticed black smoke coming from the exhaust. The mechanic noticed this when he was replacing my altenator and said it was probably my fuel pressure regulator. The problem still exists and the vehicle is starting to run pretty bad but gets better after warming up. I would like to know if anybody has an idea what a mechanic should charge to replace the regulator and plugs while he's at it. I know the regulator and plugs cost less than $150.00 but I've read somewhere that it's costs about $500.00 to have the repairs. Sounds a bit steep to me. Any help would be appreciated since I really can't afford to pay $500.00 at this time.

Ron

Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 1994 Blazer Problems

The regulator is inside the engine. You're basically rebuilding the intake manifold gasket when you do the FPR, and since you're disturbing the internal fuel lines, you'll also have to replace those. It's just an involved process.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

its common for the window motors to go bad and slow down (they did on my 94 as well but in the back)

as far as the black smoke coming out ur exhaust well that means ur running rich aka more fuel going into the engine. when u say it runs bad when u start up i would assume u mean that it has a rough idle (kinda sounds like it wants to die or not smooth running) i would start out by checking ur spark plugs (this is something that u can do ur self all u need is a spark plug socket and if u dont have one u can pick one up for cheap) if one bank (aka row of spark plugs) is heavily fueled (mine was the driver side) then this would mean the regulator leaks. its not that hard to take the plenum apart and check the regulator. if u wanted to see if it leaks all u have to do is take the top half of the plenum off and have someone turn the key to the on position (be careful) and if it leaks u will def see where fuel is coming out because w/ the key on this sends fuel to the regulator. for my case it was the plastic lines that leaked and they cost around $50/60. it is fairly simple to replace them ur self and will take about a couple of hours in time. its pretty straight forward just time consuming. the only 'special' tool u need is a tamper proof torx (u can get a set for under $10) if u have any questions feel free to pm me or something. ik there is another thread that has pics of this and stuff but i always forget where it is lol

Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am in the same boat as you. i bought a 94 blazer in december with 75,000 on it and it still leaks everywere and my engine runs ruff still...........you can do what i do and check codes. you don't need a tester but you do have to know how to test it..........................................Haynes Repair Manuel is the book i have and it tells you alot. just make sure you have the right year range for book. at least you will know if it's electricle before you dive in there and can't find anything