General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1997 GMC Jimmy Should I buy it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Starting Member
Wisco Blazer will become famous soon enough
Default 1997 GMC Jimmy Should I buy it??

Long story short.4x4 GMC jimmy with 139k miles. Front end is messed up. Will need new bumper, hood, both fenders, radiator and system (brown mud in resovior), core support, annnnnd connected to the frame is the bumper receiver things. Are they replaceable? They are bent up pretty good. Brand new tires, supposedly engine was just rebuilt 5k miles ago. Interior and body from the fenders back is in great shape. It runs and drives. They drove the thing home after the accident and parked it in the garage.

I want to fix it up and flip it.
The guy wants $500. (might be able to get him down to $350-$400)

So my questions...

A) Can I replace those bumper recievers??? If so how much (roughly)???

B) How easy is it to flush that brown mud out of the cooling system?

C) Is it worth it?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah buy it. You can flush that Brown crap out easy. Pour a bottle of CLR into it and run it a while. Wash it all clean with water.

300 beans or less for sure.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

i'd show up offer $350 put another 2-4 into it an sell it, got any pics of the bent up areas

Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Wisco Blazer
Long story short.4x4 GMC jimmy with 139k miles. Front end is messed up. Will need new bumper, hood, both fenders, radiator and system (brown mud in resovior), core support, annnnnd connected to the frame is the bumper receiver things. Are they replaceable? They are bent up pretty good. Brand new tires, supposedly engine was just rebuilt 5k miles ago. Interior and body from the fenders back is in great shape. It runs and drives. They drove the thing home after the accident and parked it in the garage.

I want to fix it up and flip it.
The guy wants $500. (might be able to get him down to $350-$400)

So my questions...

A) Can I replace those bumper recievers??? If so how much (roughly)???

B) How easy is it to flush that brown mud out of the cooling system?

C) Is it worth it?

Are you sure the engine has been rebuilt? Was the mud in there before or after the rebuild? Are you sure it's mud and not block sealer? If by bumper receipers, you mean the frame horns, yes, a frame shop can straighten them but at that age, to get them right might be more than it's worth when you consider what else it needs.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

The mud could be where someone mixed green antifreeze with dexcool. That makes a mud looking anti-freeze. It lead to heater cores & radiator replacements from my experience.
Your going to spend more money than you think I'm sure fixing this. But if you want a project & plan to use it then go for it.
Used Blazers in anything but good condition bring little return. I have a 98 Blazer 4x4 with a rod knocking in the engine I can't get anything for it so I'm giving it away to a Charity.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Who rebuilt the engine is there any paper work to go with it?Does the trans shift like it should.Does the 4wd work?If you can get good honest answers about these questions offer $350. Tell take it or leave it.Pull the drive line,engine,trans t case sell it.Strip it down to where any easy sellable part has been taken off and scrap the rest.You will double if not triple your $.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Starting Member
Wisco Blazer will become famous soon enough

I'm going to test drive it tomorrow. I will offer $400 cash if everything works as it should. I mean I could damn near pull the engine and sell it for $400.