General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2001 blazer 4.3l cold air, exhaust, programer

Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Starting Member
demerrrs is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 2001 blazer 4.3l cold air, exhaust, programer

i own a 2001 blazer with the 4.3L, 4 door, 4x4. if i were to spend the money and install a cold air intake, get rid of the muffler and replace it with a glass pack or flowmaser muffler and possibly bought a programer..will i see a change for the better mpg and power wise? also which would be better a glasspack or flowmaster muffler?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 PM
beyondbasic is on a distinguished road

CAI is pointless i dont care what anyone says.. all it does it make your vehicle run lean and hurt your motor in the long run unless you have the truck professionally tuned.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, it all comes down to how you drive it. I doubt you'll see much by way of a performance/mileage gain by putting on a muffler, but it will sound different. On the muffler, it really comes down to what you want for a sound in terms of what to put on.

Originally Posted by beyondbasic View Post
CAI is pointless i dont care what anyone says.. all it does it make your vehicle run lean and hurt your motor in the long run unless you have the truck professionally tuned.
I'm sorry, but I hope you were kidding. There is NO way a CAI can make a truck running O2, MAF, MAP, & IAT sensors run lean. NONE. The stock PCM will adjust properly and do just fine at maintaining proper AFR. I have run a CAI on MANY vehicles with stock tuning and never had any indication of running lean on the plugs nor in the STFT/LTFT readings from the PCM.

If you don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm just beating my head against the wall trying to convince you, so I won't bother. But I can put the proper information out there for everyone else.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by beyondbasic View Post
x2 on what Kyle said. When I had my first car a GM mechanic told me about the benefits of CAIs and how he and every guy in that shop has one on their vehicle.

To the OP: you will see a gain from thoset hings combined, but again, as Kyle said, it all depends on your driving habbits. If you mash the gas all the time then you'll lose HP. I limit my RPMs to 2.5k in 1st, and 2k in all other gears. With a CAI and Hypertech tune currently set on 87 octane, I consistantly get 16 mpg. In the winter I'm probably going to get a mail order tune from Wait4Me or PCM4Less. As for the muffler choice, the glasspack is going to drone really bad at certain speeds. All depends on how much noise you're okay with.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:38 PM
beyondbasic is on a distinguished road

my fault i though he said a 1991 lmao.

Last edited by beyondbasic; 09-04-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok then.