General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2wd madness

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM
MattxMosh is on a distinguished road

My guess it would be from lack of experience. Don't be offended, I've wrecked my fair share of cars in the snow.

Slow and steady, early braking and thinking ahead really helps to stay on the road. Good tires, and some weight won't hurt either.

Sure isn't any fun though.

Praying for some snow this week, sad I missed the big storm last week.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i run about 300 pounds of tractor weights in the back of mine, mines a 4dr and i do have 4wd, but i did notice i don't loose the back end around corners like i did before. slowing down and braking sooner, weight helps but it isn't gonna save you.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Beginning Member
Blazerboy1611 is on a distinguished road

yeah i dont have much experience with snow/ice and i have no weight or tires to use.

__________________-
1997 4d 2wd LT

Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Take your time, if you start getting the tail out get your foot off the gas and the truck will straighten out...
Don't overcorrect if it starts sliding, just keep the front wheels pointed in the direction you want to go when you turn into it, when you over correct the truck is liable to spin violently the other way if you catch traction. Sometimes (epsecially in our trucks) this results in a roll-over.

3rd hint Don't drive like me lol... the more snow, the more I stick to the unplowed side roads

Another thing... next time it snows, go play in an empty parking lot and get a feel for how your truck reacts to getting sideways... if you give it too much gas you'll spin, jus the right amount you'll sustain the slide and decreasing throttle will straighten it out... the more experience the better you'll be... I'm at the point where my friends grab that handle on the dash and I just laugh as the truck starts breaking loose.

Last edited by oktain; 02-09-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Beginning Member

thanks for the tips. I need to invest in a good pair of shoes for the beast

Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Joemakerman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
Take your time, if you start getting the tail out get your foot off the gas and the truck will straighten out...
Don't overcorrect if it starts sliding, just keep the front wheels pointed in the direction you want to go when you turn into it, when you over correct the truck is liable to spin violently the other way if you catch traction. Sometimes (epsecially in our trucks) this results in a roll-over.
Easier said than done, at least for me haha

-Joe

Old 02-09-2010, 10:52 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

It took me a little while to catch on... it cost me a front valence the first winter I had my Blazer, coming off a Fwd car it was a HUGE change, now instead of not being able to steer, you spin around lol.

another tip, when you start sliding towards something your first reaction will be to put the brakes on... DON'T, it just makes your situation worse. Go to the parking lot I told you about, get the truck sideways and jam on the brakes and see what happens.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Beginning Member

Heard ya on that brother!!

im gonna experiment with some extra weight first.

got any good weight ideas, throw 'um to me

Thanks,

Daniel

Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

the luggage hooks in the back work for ratchet strapping whatever you do use for weights. concrete mix is cheaper then sand. cement blocks, kitty liter, whatever you got for weight works as long as it will add up quick and wont impair your vission. even a younger brother works great for weight.
just kidding on that last one but you get the point.
x2 on going to the parking lot, if you're use to driving a fwd car, these beasts are a different story

Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Beginning Member

i'll look into those weights

thanks

never drivin a fwd so..

Quick Reply: 2wd madness