General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

3 step fuel cleaning service

Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Bobcat13 is on a distinguished road
Default 3 step fuel cleaning service

Hey everyone, so I just had a 3 step fuel system cleaning service done on my s10 and man does that work wonders. Truck runs a whole lot better and smoother, and got about 3mpg! I strongly recommend all of you on here to go to a local shop and see if they offer it. You won't be disappointed.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What year, model & engine do you have?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 PM

97 s10 4.3L

Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Have you done the injector upgrade to your engine? It eliminates the poppet valves, which like to clog up, and relocates the injectors to the intake ports. Plug & play, no programming necessary. Makes a noticeable difference in performance and mileage over the original injection system.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM

Not yet. I will when the wallet permits...lol

Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

Hook, I'm sure others would like to know this, but that intake upgrade - it's the whole intake and there up to the air cleaner, correct? And it's from years 2001 to 2004 only? Also, is there any MPG or HP increase or decrease?

Old 01-20-2014, 02:37 PM

It's actually an injector upgrade, not intake.

1996 through 2002 originally came with this style of injector assembly:

It has 6 mini injectors in the metering block, and a poppet valve in each of the 6 nozzles. When an injector fires, it pressurizes the "spider line". The poppet valve requires ~43psi to open and squirt the fuel into the intake port. The problem is the poppet valve/nozzle tends to varnish up and either restrict fuel flow, stick open or stick closed. They usually end up dripping fuel into the intake port, instead of spraying it. That's when/why the injector cleaning becomes necessary.

2003 through 2005 came with this style of injector assembly:

On the upgraded injector assembly, the poppet valves were totally eliminated, and the 6 mini injectors were relocated to the intake ports. When the fuel pump is activated, all 6 "spider lines" are pressurized, right up to the nozzle of the injector. When the injector fires, the nozzle squirts fuel into the intake port, (no time lag waiting for the poppet to open).

The upgraded injector assembly can be installed on 1996 through 2002 4.3L engines with only one modification: A newly designed bracket to hold the new metering block in place. AC Delco and Delphi injector upgrades include the $20 bracket, most aftermarkets do not. Also needed, but not included, is an upper plenum gasket set. The upgrade is plug & play, no PCM programming necessary. Replacement time is under 2 hours.

After the upgrade, even with no problems in your old style injector assembly, you can expect better throttle response, performance, fuel mileage, and less of a chance of the nozzles getting varnished up in the future. The results are immediate.

FYI: If you're not sure if your engine has the upgrade, check the VIN. If the 8th character is a "W", you have the old style assembly, (unless it's been upgraded). If it's an "X", it has the upgrade from the factory.

Attached Thumbnails 3 step fuel cleaning service-96newercsfiinjectorwengine.gif  
Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 AM
12istheanswer is on a distinguished road

I am able to do most of the work myself on my blazer which is why I just bought it. After looking at my VIN I see that it has the W so now I am intrigued to do this upgrade. So that means I have two questions.
1. When looking to see if someone else may have done this upgrade already what do I look for?
2. How much $ for the upgraded system?

I have a 2001 Blazer LS with the 4.3L (4x4)

The reason I am looking into this is because I keep getting a fuel leak where the incoming/return lines connect on the top of the unit. If I am going to be replacing gaskets or such I might as well do the upgraded unit as well.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

The spider cost me about 250 at pep boys, just don't do what I did and install everything and look for your rags I left inside the air intake holes. And I managed to use the same bracket as the old one struggled but I got it to fit

Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 12istheanswer
...I have two questions:
1. When looking to see if someone else may have done this upgrade already what do I look for?
2. How much $ for the upgraded system?

I have a 2001 Blazer LS with the 4.3L (4x4)

The reason I am looking into this is because I keep getting a fuel leak where the incoming/return lines connect on the top of the unit. If I am going to be replacing gaskets or such I might as well do the upgraded unit as well.
1. Remove the upper plenum and take a look. If it's been done, the injectors will be in plain sight. If you remove the plenum, don't reuse the gaskets. BWD Fuel Injector Seal Kit 11218: Purchase the best Fuel Injector Gaskets at Advance Auto Parts

2. Delphi part # is FJ10565, check around with Rock auto, Amazon, Ebay, etc.

If there is fuel leaking where the lines go into the injector assembly, you need one of these kits: Dorman - Help Fuel Injector O-Ring Seal Kit - GM 2005-96 90000: Search no more for the best Fuel Injector O-Ring Kit at Advance Auto Parts It has all of the O rings for the original style injector assembly, but you'll only need the ones for the lines. There is a certain order that the O rings and steel washers must be assembled in:

Attached Thumbnails 3 step fuel cleaning service-csfiupperintakemanifold.gif