General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

4.3L V6 vs. 4.2 I6 power

Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3L V6 vs. 4.2 I6 power

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kwx...eature=related

Hard to believe the Jimmy with less HP and torque could do this! Can anyone shed some light on how this was possible?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Put a stupid driver behind the wheel and it'll happen every time. Spinning wheels have less traction than non-spinning wheels... Also note that one was in 2wd and the other in 4... Guess which one was in 4...

Old 04-14-2010, 10:57 PM

The Envoy wasn't even in 4WD? I thought it was at first, but the rears were spinning because of bad tread. Is it possible the driver of the Envoy put it in 4WD and the front axle wasn't locked properly? Or maybe they left it in 2WD intentionally. IDK. Stupid video anyway. The Jimmy would have won anyway if the Envoy was in 4WD. IDK, but the Jimmy just seems to be somewhat of a stronger vehicle than most newer GM midsize trucks. Let me know if I sound stupid.....

Old 04-14-2010, 11:21 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
Let me know if I sound stupid.....

OK. done.

seriously though, Kyle is right. even if the Jimmy had bald tires on his truck, he'd still be able to pull that Envoy-so long as he doesn't lose traction.

and as the poster of the vid stated in his comments, he didn't get a shot of the trucks in 4WD, "because the other guy was pissed" @ him. right. somehow i doubt it, but i sure wouldn't want to trash my t-case or trans to prove otherwise.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
OK. done.

seriously though, Kyle is right. even if the Jimmy had bald tires on his truck, he'd still be able to pull that Envoy-so long as he doesn't lose traction.

and as the poster of the vid stated in his comments, he didn't get a shot of the trucks in 4WD, "because the other guy was pissed" @ him. right. somehow i doubt it, but i sure wouldn't want to trash my t-case or trans to prove otherwise.

Ok, sorry for the dumb post. Next time I should read the comments on YouTube videos before I post a link on here. Thought I was saying something good about these trucks. I don't know why people do these tug-o-wars with trucks anyway. You are 100% right about the trans and t-case part. Why risk a $3000-$4000 repair bill over a video of a tug-o-war? There is just too much that can break over something like that. If not the trans or the t-case, what about the driveshafts, u-joints, differentials, CV axles, wheel bearings, tires? What if the chain/strap breaks and the cars go rocketing forward into something? I have hauled alot of stuff in my truck. I have recovered a couple stuck vehicles in the past few years. I don't tow however. But I do it all in such a way that does not create a situation that is hazardous in the process or anything that can damage the truck. Also, at least my truck is ready to tow if I need it to. Just had a trans cooler installed a couple months ago. My drivetrain is all original and has 88k on it .

Old 04-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Starting Member
TheStig is on a distinguished road

Anyone who doubts the power difference, well just drive one with a 4.2. I drove several a few years ago when I was selling them, very responsive. I was driving one from one lot to the other, decided to "test" it out a bit, it was enough to put a big grin on my face, I was pleasantly surprised with it. Hopefully with the mods awaiting installation back home my '99 can be close.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is a pretty wide difference in power and torque between these vehicles. Having driven both, I can say, with certainty, that given good drivers in both having equal gearing and traction, the Envoy (TB, Rainier, etc) would pull an s-series around.

Here are the engine facts I pulled together quite some time ago:
Originally Posted by swartlkk
SOURCE

Over 90% of the Vortec's 275 lb-ft of torque is available from 1600 rpm to 5600 rpm.
4.3L V6 (SCFI) - 190HP/250FTLBS
4.2L I6 ('02-'05) - 275HP/275FTLBS
4.2L I6 ('06+) - 290HP/277FTLBS (added MAF sensor plus other "enhancements")

So the 4.2L has all most as much torque at 1600RPM as the 4.3L maxes out at... And this is with a stock (detuned) 4.2L that is in the GMT360/370 platform trucks. Overall, I feel my Rainier is much more capable than my old Bravada.
What is worthless about that video is that both vehicles were not in the same drivetrain mode (2wd vs 4wd), one driver was an idiot, and there is no mention of what gears were in both vehicles.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 AM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Yea the 4.2 are pretty quick, but the 4.3 has alot more potential if you wanted to put the work and money into it. But yea unfortunately the envoy was most likely in 2wd.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 99blaz
Yea the 4.2 are pretty quick, but the 4.3 has alot more potential if you wanted to put the work and money into it.
I disagree with that completely.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I disagree with that completely.

absolutely.