General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

5w-30 conventional oil seems sold out everywhere. What can I use instead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 04:16 PM
Starting Member
RedValor is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
I'm thinking you would be better off filtering your old oil through a couple of coffee filters and re-using it, as you don't seem you like any of the suggestions the good folks on here have given you.
That's not a fair statement and you know it. Exactly which suggestions do I not like? The ones that sound like troll responses? Cause that one certainly does. I'm just here looking for a cut and dry answer to a question that just had other questions pop up because of contracting things I've heard.

Last edited by RedValor; 08-20-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You have shot down every suggestion BECAUSE you have "heard" contradicting statements, plain and simple. You have been told useful information by folks that have done them, yet because you found some post or listened to someone that heard from a guy who knows a guy that had heard there were problems, possibly, that it didn't work in some other guy's vehicle, then it is not for you.

So, I'll just say good luck in your search for YOUR type of oil that everyone else can find.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:48 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
You have shot down every suggestion BECAUSE you have "heard" contradicting statements, plain and simple. You have been told useful information by folks that have done them, yet because you found some post or listened to someone that heard from a guy who knows a guy that had heard there were problems, possibly, that it didn't work in some other guy's vehicle, then it is not for you.

So, I'll just say good luck in your search for YOUR type of oil that everyone else can find.
Originally Posted by RedValor
That's not a fair statement and you know it. Exactly which suggestions do I not like? The ones that sound like troll responses? Cause that one certainly does. I'm just here looking for a cut and dry answer to a question that just had other questions pop up because of contracting things I've heard.

Ladies. Please.

Its just Oil, everyone take a chillpill.
Synthetic or Conventional is entirely up to preference, as long as you keep in mind the vehicles application and your own driving habits, keep up with maintenance, either option will be fine. good Silicone based Synthetic for keeping it clean and for mixed/heavy duty driving, Conventional if its a (older then anyone in this thread is currently running) motor that sees long consistent highway pulls and you dont want to spend the extra dollar for the fancy stuff. It really doesnt matter, we all like trucks and we all like keeping them running, lets keep it that way.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

You know...

If it was a smokable topic... I'm sure we would not be fighting about this oil....

Old 08-21-2021, 09:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It would be helpful to read up on the facts behind multigrade oil rather than basing your knowledge on replies from random people of untold background on unspecified forums (hint, read the information produced by the oil companies as they are the experts in the field).

As far as the application at hand here to reinforce what others have correctly stated... As per the owners manual for your truck, 10w30 can be used down to 0F/-18C. If you're in a pinch and cannot find 5w30 (which is good for all reasonable temperature ranges), then you can substitute 10w30.

You are here asking for advice so please take it for what it is rather than making a debate of it. It gets really frustrating for those that are taking time out of their day to respond to you to the point where they may just pass on your posts entirely.

One last comment, take a joke and/or sarcasm as exactly that rather than report it... Shesh...

*Thread Closed*