General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

91 S10 Blazer engine troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Xtrememachine is on a distinguished road
Default 91 S10 Blazer engine troubles

I dont know if this has been answered or not but I'm trying to save the most money on engine repairs. Based on a few videos, it seems like the cylinder heads are a separate part from the engine block (I have a v6 4.3l if that helps any). I'm not to savvy on terms but what I'm trying to ask is, can I purchase new cylinder heads separately or do I have to buy a whole engine? I'm trying to get my baby back on the road again and any info will help.

Thanks for reading

Old 04-30-2015, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You can get new heads for your engine. I honestly cant say I have ever seen an engine where the heads are permanently attached to the block.

Basically the 4.3l v6 that are in our trucks is a v8 block with 2 less pistons.

So find the right heads for your truck and put them in, or get them put in.

I must ask though.. what is the truck doing that makes you think it needs some new heads?

Old 05-01-2015, 03:22 PM

When I crank the engine it will run for a few seconds then sputter out. I'll crank it again and hold the gas for a few seconds and it revs just fine then as soon as I let the gas go it'll sputter out again. I do have the burning gas smell as well as the oil smell along with the heavy white smoke. I've replaced the fuel pump, alternator, starter, battery terminals, spark plugs and the battery when I first had the problem. I looked online and saw that if the white smoke is thicker than usual the head is warped. A mechanic told me they did a compression test and I wasnt getting pressure somewhere but, I feel he lied to try and get more money out of me by replacing the whole engine (which I didnt do). There aren't any knocking noises either.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Brother if you warped the head you'd know it. Does it run hot? Any water in the oil? Usually first sign of head warping. If you smell gas when its turning then its more than likely a fire issue. Plugs or wires or distrutor cap.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:46 PM

I changed out the cap when I changed my spark plugs. I know when I get it to run, the white smoke is extremely heavy and from what I've read online that's one indication of a warped head.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Its not uncommon for an engine to blow white smoke on startup first thing in the morning. Do you have to add any oil to it at all? Basically over time the rings on the piston wear over time and let a small amount of oil by,which refers to the term using oil. You can still drive it though. That will also cause white smoke. If the head was warped theres a good chance you could physically see it.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hoebob69
Its not uncommon for an engine to blow white smoke on startup first thing in the morning. Do you have to add any oil to it at all? Basically over time the rings on the piston wear over time and let a small amount of oil by,which refers to the term using oil. You can still drive it though. That will also cause white smoke. If the head was warped theres a good chance you could physically see it.
Most of the time that white/blue smoke is the valve seals that are leaking oil past into the cylinders, which then burns when you start it up.