General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

98 Blazer Fuel Pump GT280 Pigtail Harness Butt Connectors or Solder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 07:41 PM
98Chevy_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer Fuel Pump GT280 Pigtail Harness Butt Connectors or Solder?

Hey Blazer Forum Members,

I have a 1998 Blazer LT 4.3L Vortec 2 Wheel Drive 4 Door with the Steel Gas Tank. Currently experiencing issues where the Brand-New Delphi Fuel Pump ( Model #: FG0071) is having intermittent power issues. Initially thought the 1st Delphi Pump from Napa Auto Parts was defective, although it ran good for nearly 8 months while having some slight hesitation at odd occasions. When it began to shut off at various instances such as sitting at the traffic light or while going over the interstate overpass, I decided to drop the Tank and swap out the Fuel Pump thinking it was defective.

I went to Napa Auto Parts and they provided another Delphi Fuel Pump under their Lifetime Warranty. As you may know, this new style Fuel Pump requires the new 'GT280' Pigtail Harness to be spliced into the existing Wiring Harness as GM had lots of issues where the OEM Pigtail Connector would melt itself on the inside. I used the supplied Butt Connectors that came in the box of the Fuel Pump and believe they may be causing my intermittent power issues due to a poor connection.

While coming home, I had the Blazer suddenly shut off on the Interstate going 70+ mph and it was very difficult to safely maneuver off the Interstate. After starting it back up and traveling back home, it shut off again 4 blocks away in the neighborhood while going over a Speed Bump.

Hence, I'd like to ask your opinion on which style of Butt Connectors do you recommend to use on the GT280 Pigtail Wiring along with a link to where to purchase them from? I'm aware the best option would be to Solder the wires but I have no experience at all with soldering. Is there such a Butt Connector that utilizes solder inside once heated up?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 02-13-2021, 07:22 AM
Beginning Member
Monkeywrench71986 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 98Chevy_Blazer
Hey Blazer Forum Members,

I have a 1998 Blazer LT 4.3L Vortec 2 Wheel Drive 4 Door with the Steel Gas Tank. Currently experiencing issues where the Brand-New Delphi Fuel Pump ( Model #: FG0071) is having intermittent power issues. Initially thought the 1st Delphi Pump from Napa Auto Parts was defective, although it ran good for nearly 8 months while having some slight hesitation at odd occasions. When it began to shut off at various instances such as sitting at the traffic light or while going over the interstate overpass, I decided to drop the Tank and swap out the Fuel Pump thinking it was defective.

I went to Napa Auto Parts and they provided another Delphi Fuel Pump under their Lifetime Warranty. As you may know, this new style Fuel Pump requires the new 'GT280' Pigtail Harness to be spliced into the existing Wiring Harness as GM had lots of issues where the OEM Pigtail Connector would melt itself on the inside. I used the supplied Butt Connectors that came in the box of the Fuel Pump and believe they may be causing my intermittent power issues due to a poor connection.

While coming home, I had the Blazer suddenly shut off on the Interstate going 70+ mph and it was very difficult to safely maneuver off the Interstate. After starting it back up and traveling back home, it shut off again 4 blocks away in the neighborhood while going over a Speed Bump.

Hence, I'd like to ask your opinion on which style of Butt Connectors do you recommend to use on the GT280 Pigtail Wiring along with a link to where to purchase them from? I'm aware the best option would be to Solder the wires but I have no experience at all with soldering. Is there such a Butt Connector that utilizes solder inside once heated up?

Thanks in advance for your help!
solder always w shrink wrap. To test the wiring is accessable top of tank, strip wire separate in to two halves twist each side independently and add shrink wrap, temp tape to verify problem is solved. If solved remove tape solder, slide shrink wrap down and heat gun it. If problem is persistent swap a different relay and they can fail warm. Hope that makes it easier butt connectors are asking for problems later. Just my personal experience.