General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

99 Blazer death wobble with

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 01:34 PM
Starting Member
cptmiker is on a distinguished road
Default 99 Blazer death wobble with

Hello All I have a 99 blazer with a straight axle convection
Dana 30 on Leaf springs about a 6 + lift I cant seem to correct the Death wobble at at 30 to 40mph its starts about 25 and just get worse and recomendation of what else to look at or help correct this would be great I will post pics as soon as i have taken them.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Death wobble usually starts with something like a tire imbalance or irregular tread wear, then quickly gets violent because of loose suspension components. Have you tried rotating the tires front to rear? Are you running a track bar (Panhard bar)? Any play in the ball joints? How much caster does it have?

I would have somebody rock the steering wheel back and forth while you lie on the ground and watch the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. for play.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:19 PM
Starting Member
cptmiker is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
Death wobble usually starts with something like a tire imbalance or irregular tread wear, then quickly gets violent because of loose suspension components. Have you tried rotating the tires front to rear? Are you running a track bar (Panhard bar)? Any play in the ball joints? How much caster does it have?

I would have somebody rock the steering wheel back and forth while you lie on the ground and watch the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. for play.
I will check all the above. No track bar as this is a leaf spring install.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:23 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cptmiker
I will check all the above. No track bar as this is a leaf spring install.
Some leaf spring setups have a track bar. My Blazer doesn't, but my Ford pickup does, and I've seen some Dodge trucks that do. In most cases, I don't think it's necessary, but if you have a lot of spring arch or bad leaf spring bushings, you can have problems with the axle moving side to side.

Old 09-16-2024, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member
03BlazinRedBlazer is on a distinguished road

*accidently posted reply in wrong thread. Sorry.

Last edited by 03BlazinRedBlazer; 09-16-2024 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread. Some how jumped over to a different thread I clicked reply to.