General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

S10 buyers checklist

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:41 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road
Default S10 buyers checklist

So I'm looking at a truck instead of the Blazer. I'll probably continue to hang out on this site because there is really no difference and so far I've learned a lot and maybe contributed a bit.
It's a 1996 extended cab S10 4.3 w/ 4wd and flatbed in place of the stepside. High miles at 200k but the carfax turns up clean. They are asking $1950 but I'm planning on starting at $1500.
My main reason for posting is to go through my checklist to see if I missed anything. I've tried to hit all the main issues that these have.

Visual Inspection:
*Oil color/smell
*Trans fluid color/smell
*Coolant color/level/smell - may indicate previous or present intake gasket failure
*Brake fluid/reservuior color
*Heat/AC controls operation
*Oil in 4wd vacuum hoses - indicates transfer case input seal (eventual heat/AC control failure)
*Frame rust/damage
*Steering tight
*Idle quality - fuel system problem
*Tire wear pattern
*Accessory belt condition - if that's bad, what else could be neglected
*Engine leaks/drips
*Door hinges
*Body rust/previous repair - inspect door/hood gaps

Test Drive:
*Abnormal noises
*Stopping - brake system condition
*High throttle acceleration - test transmission shifting and engine operation
*Oil pressure
*Engine temperature

I've been through a lot of trouble with my '95 Blazer so I'm hoping to use that in order to make an educated buy and at least know the problems going into it instead of flying blind like I ended up the first time around. Also hoped that making a list would help anyone else if they are just lurking and thinking about getting an S10 based vehicle.

If it comes home with me this weekend I'm already planning on adding a locker in the rear and sides to the flatbed. 1/2 ton springs are down the road. I had the Blazer resting on the stops every time I would haul something. Pretty much I want a 1/2 ton truck in a 1/4 ton package.
I've decided to stay away from lifting it because I've found out that good tires make a big difference and I'm not a fan of lifting things higher than necessary just to put them on the bed of a truck.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you've got the bases covered. Good luck with that. When it comes time for springs, there are 1450# springs available, which gives you 2900# GAWR. I have them on my 04 Blazer, along with Monroe Mono tube shocks. Stiff, but still a nice ride, darn near zero body roll, and it doesn't sag a bit

Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 AM

A 95-00 Tahoe has the same overall length springs and 1 extra spring to increase capacity to 1750 per side. It lists the center pin as 27x27 instead of 26x28 like the S10. So that would shift the axle back an inch. After reading, it sounds as easy as drilling a new hole in the spring perch on the axle but then there was something mentioned about the U-bolts. I think that might only be for large offsets though.
But lets not get the cart ahead of the horse. I still need the truck first.
I've also been doing some reading and decided that I'll just spend the extra $20-30 for a limited slip instead of a Lock-Right. It gives me a reason to learn how to setup gears. The unpredictability on ice/snow (main reason for adding it) is starting to sound like a real turnoff.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:13 PM

Yep... missing rockers, an empty radiator and a rusty transmission dipstick. Last time I saw that, it was on the transmission I was rebuilding for my blazer. I'll add that to the list since it indicates water in the trans. I have not seen rust on any dipstick but in an S10.
I didn't have to test drive it to know how the story would turn out as soon as the wife saw it.