General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Been awhile have a few questions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Question Been awhile have a few questions???

Well I'm back after an absents. I sold our 97 Blazer 4x4 & just couldn't live without another one. So I found a 98 Blazer 4x4 LT, same color as my 97.
I have a few questions about my 98.
First, I'm ordering an owners manual because some of these questions I might be able to find in there. But for now I want to ask. I noticed when I bought this Blazer it was a bright sunny day. The driving lights operated with the key on & running. Today was a dark stormy day & when I turned on the key ALL my lights came on even tail lights with out turning on the switch. I'm assuming this LT has AUTO lights controlled by a sensor???
Second, When I was test driving the truck before I bought it I engaged the 4x4 & lo range to see if the T/C engaged & disengaged, which it did, I think. I drove it 400 miles home. I noticed it pulling to the left. Then I was hearing what I thought might be a CV joint making noise on the right side when I turned hard right. Today I was in a parking lot checking this noise & decided to engage the 4x4. Then I disengaged it after a few turns & the steering freed up & the noise stopped. My question could of the T/C not disengaged back on the test drive even with the lights going out??? Any ideas or what should I check???
Third & last question for this post is I was told the heater core had been replaced, (not really sure) anyway it was done a few months ago about 400 miles were on it since done??
I notice an antifreeze smell but no damp carpet, no fogging of windows, the smell goes away shortly after the heater is on. I'm holding pressure & in 400 miles bringing it home normal temp & I haven't noticed any drop in reservoir level. QUESTION could of the case not of been cleaned or ducts if the core was changed leaving an antifreeze residue???
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 03-25-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

as far as your lights mine do that on my 99 or when i get on a real shaded back road so thats normal due to the location of the sensor.

about the 4wd did you back up a couple feet after you disengaged it? or just push the button and keep going?

not sure bout the coolant smell as i have the same issue, i have to check the records that are in my glove box to see if it was changed. i have 170xxx on mine

Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Ordering Owner Manual? Why wait
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...let-Blazer.pdf

Antifreeze smell after core change..
If that was changed in a shop, you really expect the residue to be removed? Not likely. It goes away, eventually.

Concur on the automatic lights... never touch{ed} light switch on either my 98 Lumina or the 99 Bravada.. other than see if the manual mode works

Good luck.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-26-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the responses. Where is the headlight sensor? I have noticed the smell getting less. But who knows.
No I did not back it up. I just drove on after I stopped to check lo range. So that might of been my problem.
Thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

the auto headlight sensor is on the pass side speaker grille on top of the dash.

when on dry pavement turning sharp with 4x engaged will do that...mine does and it works fine. i only engage it to use it or in the summer once a month to make sure it works. otherwise i leave 4x off.

00 and up has a manual way to turn off the headlights. if it bothers you look up both drl and ahl delete. both are easy to do. (daytime running lights and auto headlights) i turned both mine off for hid lighting to work properly.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
the auto headlight sensor is on the pass side speaker grille on top of the dash.

when on dry pavement turning sharp with 4x engaged will do that...mine does and it works fine. i only engage it to use it or in the summer once a month to make sure it works. otherwise i leave 4x off.

00 and up has a manual way to turn off the headlights. if it bothers you look up both drl and ahl delete. both are easy to do. (daytime running lights and auto headlights) i turned both mine off for hid lighting to work properly.
Thanks for that info. I wondered what that was. It doesn't bother me. I like the driving lights a lot of places in Nevada require daytime lights on. The auto lights are fine as long as they work correctly.
I can't believe the difference between our 97 & this 98. I'm trying to get use to all the features this one has.
I preferred the 97 dash & some other things. I like the grill & lights on the 98. I would of preferred cloth to leather seats.
Anyway I will get use to the 98 in time.
Thanks,

Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM

Kind of an update on my 98 Blazer. One thing I found & fixed was a bad front hub & bearings. That corrected the front end issue. I still have an ABS light on & off. It must be a wheel sensor hanging up or bad. I had this on a Chevy Lumina 1st gen once.
The lights work great if I wouldn't throw things over the dash sensor. The heater core is not the issue the issue was that who ever installed the heater core did not clean out the housing. The smell is slowly going away.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
Thanks for that info. I wondered what that was. It doesn't bother me. I like the driving lights a lot of places in Nevada require daytime lights on. The auto lights are fine as long as they work correctly.
I can't believe the difference between our 97 & this 98. I'm trying to get use to all the features this one has.
I preferred the 97 dash & some other things. I like the grill & lights on the 98. I would of preferred cloth to leather seats.
Anyway I will get use to the 98 in time.
Thanks,
my 97s dash was replaced with one from a 99 so I got the drl and auto lights.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:37 PM
VinnyBob is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to disconnect the OBD computer? I don't see the need for a computer controlled diagnostic that cannot accurately pinpoint the actual problem. If the OBD computer is disconnected how will affect the engine's performance? Is is possible that the OBD is total B.S.?