General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

begging for advice on A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 AM
Beginning Member
chevyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default begging for advice on A/C

summer is around the corner, and the tumor on my 95 blazer begins to show the effect, i have replaced 3 units of Harrison R4 compressors, either new or reman., all ended up with incurable leakage; and i now totally lost confidence on this compressor model; i am thinking of doing with other compressor models, but afraid the new model won't fit in the space, especially in length...., gosh! hot summer! how could i get away from sweaty driving..., any tips? thanks in advance!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Well, this was a fun exercise..
Dont blame you for frustration.. search on various "replace.. instead of.." got nothing.
searched
bulletproof r4 ac compressor
and got this
S-Series.Org • View topic - Anyone upgraded AC Compressor in 86-93 w/4.3?

Short answer Sanden. Which.. unless you change everything bolted on your engine to later config, looks good.
Of course you are going to have to have lines fabricated

But in my surfing, I found most complaints, analysed, were tied to an oiling passage design problem. It's conceivable that could lead to leaks. And it make the case to me for a low-side inline filter. The accumulator does a lot of things, as a filter less than perfect.

If you want more info on conversion kits
https://www.google.com/search?q=r4+s...onversion+kits
This pdf has a LOT of compressor and kit info but is aimed at Ag and construction applications:
http://www.heco.net/maincat/compressors.pdf

I found it amusing that rockauto is less than helpful on this sort of thing. Reseached the 'pancake' compressor I had on several Fox Mustangs, the 'HR980'*, and they show a compressor that never was installed in an 80's ford.
I never had any problem with them but they were less than overpowering in the cooling dept.
As witnessed by several Sanden kits.

* GM people would THINK the HR in the model number HR980 referred to Harrison Radiator, later just Harrison Div... No, Tecumseh made it which ergo means POS!

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-28-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Go to ACkits.com. They are based out of Phoenix AZ. I have bought compressor & various A/C stuff from them over the years.