General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer question... will you help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:47 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Special key is a lug nut key and they are after market. It prevents the common thief from stealling your wheels easiely.

Its extremely rare to find a key that will work other than the original, there is no Master Key.

Working in a tire shop for a couple of years we would get vehicles in where the owner lost the lug nut key. They are told it takes about 1hr labor and they pay for tools. By far the easiest way to remove all four locking lug nuts is to pound an impact socket onto the lug, then unbolt it. Your not getting the lug out of the socket and both have to be replaced, and the owner is paying for them both.

Now if that doesnt work, option two. Again owner is paying for tools.
Pull out the drill and drill bits. Start small and work your way up, your going to drill out the lug stud, this is hardened steel and it takes about 1hr per wheel. Once the mut is off, the wheel comes off, and the brakes come off, the old lug stud is driven out and a new one pounded back in.

Same thing happens if you cross thread your lug nuts, pray the guy in the garage has a heavy duty impact gun. I have broken the studs off with my impact gun, granted it was only on cars, trucks is option 2 above. Figure $60-$90 per labor hour. Just because there are 5-8 bolts holding your tires on doesnt mean its a no brainer. Ive seen all 5 studs break whiel the car was on the interstate. That tire does some serious damage to teh fender well when it comes free.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Most tire shops know how to get them off. Of course you'll either have to buy another set or 4 original lug nuts.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats how we do it in the tire shop.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I am surprised the original posters shop did not have a universal lug nut lock tool set. I have had mine for over 20 years.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Beginning Member
allangee is on a distinguished road

Any tire shop can get the lock nuts off and replace them with regular ones -- probably while you wait... probably fairly cheap. Then, if you still want locks, you can pick up a new set at any auto parts place. Remember, you only need one per wheel!