General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazers are CRAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default what I owned

Let see. My first vehicle ever was a 1983 blazer. The only thing I was told is at one point it had a tranny put in it. I have no idea how many times it rolled over. I know at least once when I owned it and the other guy said once so my guess it was up to 300,000. It was owned by a doctor who pulled a trailer behind it and he took care of everything that was fixed. Then by another guy who I know who took care of it. (I think) then the person who i bought it from. It had all the service records in it. The only problem I never did get fix until the end was somebody cut the weight on the carb. So it wouldn't high idle or idle until warm. I didn't want to sell it but my dad said no kid has two vehicles. It was getting to the point that I need to put a little cash into it. Radiator core was leaking, driver side seat busted. Needed a windshield and new tires. I put the new tires on the next vehicle I had. I really wish I never got it. The next item I got was a chevy astro van. Two things that needed. New tires, water pump, and a tune up. Sucked in winter. 1988 I think was the year. THen a suzuki sidekick. Nothing major until 200,000 then it went to sh*t. Mostly my fault. It needed some fixes and I had no money so it was neglected. Beleive me if I had the money. I would have fixed it and probably still have. Currenlty I have a 1999 grand prix and took it into the shop. The person who I got it from keeped it up. But whoever had it before didn't do anything to it. The front suspension is gone and a few other things. About 2,000 worth of work. I"m going to get a compression test done on it. since it only has 198,000 miles on it and the engine sound great. The body looks great. Plus i'm going to get a seond opion. But in the mean time. I purchased a 1993 s10 blazer 4x4 to fix up. So we will see how it goes. The previous owner said about 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes and that was probably do to the remote oil filter lines leaking a tad. Told it was a 60.00 fix and common. The funny part is. My 1983 s10 blazer would be 1 quart low everything 3,000 miles. I could tell by the oil pressure guage (needle) when it needed oil. LOL

Josh

Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 PM
zsmith93 is on a distinguished road

All of my friends have full size trucks, all v8's. My 93 4 door 4.3 4x4 blazer is constantly put down. But it is funny because right after someone makes fun of it they either get stuck and call me to pull them out or they ride with me and are wide eyed when they step out after i just beat someone in a race that they would have lost or went through a mud hole their truck had been stuck in.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

O i know guys, see.. i love my blazer beyond belief, its my 3rd vehicle and my favorite by far. I've driven brand new silverados, avalanches, tahoes, and my mom's 03 envoy, i just can't believe the feeling i get when driving my blazer, its lower so it handles better, it gets better mileage, and stock vs. stock is quicker than most of the other trucks i listed

Old 04-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Beginning Member
Wendover is an unknown quantity at this point

All of my friends are kind of in awe of my Blazer (jealous actually). It's kind of plain looking (for now) but it's essentially showroom condition inside and out (and that's saying a lot for a truck in rural Ontario). I bought it new in 2005. I've put on only 70,000 Kms. I only use it on weekends now. It's a great, reliable little 4x4 with big tires. What's not to like!
I've had a '91 Dakota 4x4 and a '93 Explorer 4x4 but they just weren't the same. Not as reliable.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Well...there are plenty of people on here that can tell you what's not to like about Blazers, myself included.

But I won't go there. I'll just say that I liked my Blazer a lot more than I didn't like it.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine has 165k on it, bought it with 155k. Needs power steering pump, auto 4x4 doesn't work. Replaced a bunch of stuff on it. Front door pins, nut kit, fuel pressure regulator, radio, u joints, brakes (front and rear), tires. Had a transmission replaced under warranty. Going to be fixing the rust on it soon at the bottom of the doors and on the pass side front fender. I'm swapping in a manual t-case at the moment. I wouldn't be fixing it if it wasn't worth fixing. A/C still works! Front end is a little loose but It's going to mainly winter truck duty.

For $1000 it doesn't owe me anything!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Like i said guys, i love my truck without a doubt. It has its problems, just like every car/truck in the world. But for what its worth, i wouldn't give it up for anything else (Except maybe a brand new Silverado with a 6.2L in it haha)

Old 04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, as the proud owner of a Silverado with a 6.0 -- one thing I miss about the Blazer is the gas mileage!

But I wouldn't give up the sound of the Flowmasters for anything -- or the looks on the faces of the other people sitting at the red light! Ha ha ha!

Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, some of my friends kind of hate on my blazer also funny part is one of those people owns a 2000 ford exploder which this year alone they have had to put in a new transmission, TPS sensor, and ECM. Where as I have yet to spend a dime on repairs besides maintenance.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
PCallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

People who drive disposable cars (ie: SATURN'S) shouldnt comment on blazers. We just bought this blazer and already have a problem with it, but as my dad always told me...anything mechanical your gonna have problems with, you just gotta make sure you get something you enjoy playing with in between problems. His other old line is "you play you pay" lol. I like our blazer so far. And believe me, Im a truck kinda girl, not the SUV kind, but so far its been as fun as any truck Ive owned and its kept my groceries dry on rainy days so its a thumbs up from me on Blazers.

Quick Reply: Blazers are CRAP!!