General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Bumper hitch question

Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Starting Member
EzTec is on a distinguished road
Default Bumper hitch question

Hello all. My 2000 2dr 4x4 LS has the stock bumper mounted ball on it, but I'm very curious on what the rating is on that. Like, how much weight can it withhold before it's too much?

I don't plan on towing a lot. Maybe a small flatbed moving trailer with an ATV or a dirt bike.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i believe the bumper is rated for 300 lbs tongue weight, which is 3000 lbs trailer weight. i looked in the manual for my '98, but it only tells you gross trailering weight.

bet nobody knew that 3.08 equiped 4x4 Blazer is rated 1000 lbs less than a 3.42 or 3.73 equiped truck. amazing stuff you find in an owners manual...............

i know the steel step bumpers on pick-ups have it stamped right into the bumper itself, isn't it on the plastic/rubber insert on these trucks too? (never really looked on mine, since it came with the factory tow package).

Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't try to tow too much... but then again, my hitch pulled a fullsize 98 silverado across town fine....

Old 06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Starting Member

Nice. Like I said, it won't be a lot. Maybe a flat bed with an ATV or a dirt bike. So, 400-500 pounds for the stuff, plus 400-500 pounds for the trailer itself. Would that be ok?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I don't see why not, but what I'd do is call the local pick'n'pull yards and see if you can get the GM hitch from a Blazer/Jimmy... install's pretty straight forward, remove rear bumper, remove brackets, put hitch in place of brackets, mount bumper back on truck... Took me half an hour to install mine, I got a GM hitch (albeit rusty, but it cleaned up nice) for 100bucks and I didn't give a rats *** anymore because I wasn't worried about my bumper and trailer taking off.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

You pulling that much will be fine! Ive been yanked out with my old truck from the ball on the bumper and it had no problems. Ive also flat towed people also. I wouldn't really go anymore than 1500-2000lbs to be honest because then I would definitely get a hitch because then your getting into class 1 ratings.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Starting Member

Yeah. If I had the money, I would definitely get a Class 3 hitch with a 3 ball post, but I don't plan on towing anything bigger than a pop-up camper or a flatbed with a toy or two. So... I'll just stick with my stock ball for now, and when I get some money saved up, I'll get into a nice hitch. Thanks for the info guys.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 AM
David Hineline is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter and I pulled this trailer from Yuma, AZ to Havelock, NC at highway speeds all the way. Now the day after we arrived the rear end shelled out and had to be replaced, for what ever reason the 2000 Blazer had 140000 miles on it at the time. The hitch and bumper mount was not a problem, lil trailer was not heavy loaded just furniture and stuff.

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...nt=trailer-4x8

Old 06-04-2010, 09:02 AM
nit8690 is on a distinguished road

I personal wouldnt pull anything with a bumper hitch. I have seen alot of them just get ripped off and not hauling that much either. you go a few years older and they dont even have that bumper. I had to get a real towing kit for mine but I like it alot more. just if the blazers didnt sit so low. you haul a trailer with just a 2 in drop hitch your draggin the tounge over bumps. have to flip the ball over

Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nit8690
....................just if the blazers didnt sit so low. you haul a trailer with just a 2 in drop hitch your draggin the tounge over bumps. have to flip the ball over

(don't take this the wrong way) why would you ever install a drop tongue on a stock truck?