General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

bumper mounted towing ball

Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
strov68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bumper mounted towing ball

This is probably a stupid problem/question but I recently noticed that on my 1999 blazer there is a place to put a ball for towing a light trailer, the only problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the plastic cover that covers the hole and the threads where the ball goes. Also I was wondering if it comes with a wiring harness or am I going to have to go out and buy one.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:01 AM
bdhawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: bumper mounted towing ball

ok, i am going to tell you how i did it, not so sure this is the 'right way'. i took a utility knife and carefully cut into the plastic cover over the hole. it is roughly a square in shape and approx. 2" in size. this exposes a bit of the bumper so the ball's shoulderwill contact the metal of the bumper and not the plastic. i feel that cutting away the plastic from just the hole would not allow a proper tightening of the ball.

i have a '00 blazer, so there is a good chance yours is similar. the wiring is just to the left of the tag, behind the bumper, wire tied to a crossmember. you will need to buy a 'kit' that allows you to splice ito the vehicle's wiring. make sure you get a plug that matches your trailer's.

the hitch ball proved to be too high for my trailer. i eventually bought a receiver hitch that allowed me to drop the ball a total of about four inches. this allowed my trailer to be towed pretty much level. installing the receiver hitch was painless. i did have trouble removing the original bumper bolts which were a bit corroded and the access was not so easy.