General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

buying a 2001 blazer LT in aus help pls :)

Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Starting Member
jake5504 is on a distinguished road
Default buying a 2001 blazer LT in aus help pls :)

Hey guys i am looking purchasing a lt blazer 2001 model, i am looking to pick up one up in the next week, just wondering if anyone in Australia has one and finds it hard to get it repaired or to get spare parts. Also about getting insurance for the vehicle very exspensive?

also just wondering if the blazers get many problems in the engine.
and anything i should check the vehicle out for when buying it.

thank you

Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

First off, welcome to the forum. To answer your question, we have a member called kiwiblazer, here is his forum page: Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums - View Profile: kiwiblazer
Though he hasn't been on since the 13th of this month.
And Imho, I don't believe there are any major issues with a blazer, just so long as you take care of it.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Around 2005/6 car yards in New Zealand started importing the LS & LT Blazers - all 4wd 4door auto. All used vehicles.
When the fuel prices started going crazy they stopped bringing them in.
I did some reseach & established that around 2000, maybe a bit more were imported. Anyway, to you Aussie's. There are some that were imported & from what I was able to establish - only to Queensland. My son lives in Perth & when there, could not find any in Western Aussie.

In terms of the truck itself - I wouldn't trade mine for the world - well, maybe a new Grand Cherokee or Range Rover. But that's stuf of lotto wins! LOL

Heavy on gas - yes. But you don't buy this type of truck if you need a hybrid!

Reliability - depends on how the previous owner treated it & how you're going to treat it.

Parts & labour - Same drive train as Holden of the same age except the holden is a 3.8 litre.
Parts availability is the issue to be aware of. All parts are available ex USA - EXCEPT for the right hand drive ones steering dash parts i.e air vents & some switches, fender flares (which are not available in the US) and tail lights which are the 4 bulb (US trucks only have the 3 bulb - they don't have the rear fog lights! and no orange indicators either) However the US ones can be used here - we just cut off the rear fogs.

Here in New Zealand, there is a reasonably supply of used parts for now. Not sure of Aussie. I have sourced parts for some Aussie Blazer owners.

For the record, all RHD Blazers were built in New Jersey USA & as I believe when GM canned the Blazer back in 2004/5 they also closed the plant. Someone on the forum found out that GM had trashed all remaining stock possibly tooling as well for the export Blazers.

Anyway, great truck and, like I said, mine is not for sale anytime soon! I live with the gas milage.

Try sending a PM to filoblazer or hiluxtommy (in Brisbane & Sydney respectively).

There are others I know, but don't recall at the moment who. There were about 7 or 8 Aussies who had signed up here in the past 3 years. I know hiluxtommy uses his truck for camping off roading etc.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 AM
redcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Wouldn't think you would have any more problems than I get in the UK, RHD parts are difficult but anything common with LHD is ok. The Pitman arm on the steering is a big problem, (totally different to the LHD versions) over here but I managed to get a refurbished one from New Zealand, so my Blazer is still on the road.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

of course, i say he hasn't been active for a week or 2 and he comes on the very next day

Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

I check the forum most nights but don't always log in. But I'm never too far

Redcruiser, yea, I took my truck in for service & WOF (MOT) on Wednesday. Ended up being there for 3 days. Needed new oil lines, idler arm & had a leak in the radiator. Total cost $1700 after the taxman took his cut!

In Kiwi $ the idler arm was $179, oil cooler lines $340, Radiator tank $128 plus then all the bits needed for the service & warrant - wiper blades oil & filter.

Now they also tell me my a/c compressor is noisy & may need repair. Also soon needing rear brake pads, hand brake shoes & possibly rear brake rotors!

Interesting that you got your pitman arm from Kiwiland. Who from? Bunce Motors probably?