General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Calling All Painted Frames

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Starting Member
Dbam31 is on a distinguished road

need to do another layer on the frame and a gloss.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

I need to do this when it gets sunny out. What is everyone using to paint the frame?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

yeah, I was figuring I would have to clean up underneath and mask off part of the body.
What type of paint would be best and is there anything to watch out for?
How many cans of paint did it take to do the whole thing?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
97chevyblaze is on a distinguished road

i had a quart of por 15 & i didnt even use the whole thing i used foam brushes too it came out very nice. just clean the frame with a wire brush then paint. make sure you use gloves if your going to do it cause this stuff doesnt come off easy. it cost like $31

Old 06-18-2010, 01:14 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I originally used engine enamel on the brake lines, fuel lines and the outside and lower part of the frame. Then I bought undercoating and rust converter from Walmart and I used rust converter on the crossmembers and anywhere it might be badly needed then I did the outside and lower part of the frame again. I can't do the inside because I can't get all the sludge off of it no matter what I do. The undercoating spray is junk and it keeps peeling off and leaving rust spots on the frame.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 AM

try the por 15 & spray some brake cleaner on the stuff to see if you can clean it up a little better make sure you wipe it down good after tho. But for the dry spots thats where you use the wire brush. When i painted my frame i painted pretty much everything the back leafs the rear end, brake lines.. i just still need to do my a-arms but por 15 is very good and only needs one coat

Old 06-18-2010, 11:28 PM

you can try some simple green to clean up so stuff too!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 PM
rudd21 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 97chevyblaze
i had a quart of por 15 & i didnt even use the whole thing i used foam brushes too it came out very nice. just clean the frame with a wire brush then paint. make sure you use gloves if your going to do it cause this stuff doesnt come off easy. it cost like $31
Yes, POR 15 is a great product and will completely lock out rust if applied correctly. Be sure to topcoat the POR in any area that may be exposed to sunlight. POR 15 will not withstand UV rays. If not topcoated the finish will become chalky and eventually lose its rust blocking ability.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:04 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i did the inner wheel wells as well as the frame rails.

that was all done with the paintable Rocker Guard (not that i'm gonna paint it anyways), it's not as messy as using undercoating.

the Rocker Guard also works well on other stuff too (not quite done with it all yet.......)

Old 06-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

I love the painted frames, great looking

Quick Reply: Calling All Painted Frames