General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Catalytic converters and a hello

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough
Default Catalytic converters and a hello

Hey there is a been a little bit! good news, my catalytic converter has ate the big one! (the s10) not really good news at all tho. im going to order a direct fit and fix it my self tho, no way im paying 1000 to someone else to remove a few bolts and put a few bolts back on.

my one question is, which website do you think i should use? i was thinking rockauto, but i haven ordered car parts online so i was just looking for some sites that you have had good experiences with regard to price, speed of shipping, ect.

I have searched around on this topic but i really just wanted to say hi and i figured i would include the topic of my day.

thanks guys,

Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would use rock auto personally, if you search the site, you will find a discount code as well.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 PM

i found a place here that will weld on a universal for 300 out the door. not to bad i guess.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

I think you can get a universal cat for around $90 at the local auto parts store. Buy it yourself and price installation... around here, it's $40.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I would stick with a direct fit convertor rather than be messing with the pipe

I just bought a set of front hubs from R.A with no problems
Just make sure to read all the details completely when making your selection
I would only buy a brand name convertor

Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want unbolt and replace Rockauto is the way to go. Or remove and cut the pipe so u can remove the guts then get a welding shop to weld it back up. FYI it will sound different.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

those universal ones on the s10s are kinda trickey most of the ones ive done you have to cut off the old flange off of the old converter and weld it on the new one so you can use the factory hanger and so it will bolt to the pipe itself.

i kinda like that way better though then messing with the entire pipe off the manifolds you never know when or if those studs are going to break. so if you have a good welder id go with the universal.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by abig84
those universal ones on the s10s are kinda trickey most of the ones ive done you have to cut off the old flange off of the old converter and weld it on the new one so you can use the factory hanger and so it will bolt to the pipe itself.

i kinda like that way better though then messing with the entire pipe off the manifolds you never know when or if those studs are going to break. so if you have a good welder id go with the universal.
i had it installed today, runs better so far and let me tell you that this thing just got so much LOUDER. i dont remember it being this loud, perhaps this universal cat has more flow than the stock ones? i dunno, but its crazy loud.

lets hope it solved my problems, time to move on to the senors that needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

also if the old cat was clogged up it would have quieted down the sound. another thing ive noticed about these universals is they are garbage. they seem to last like 20-30k miles or 2-3 years. ive been at my job about 3 years now and about every week or so we are getting a cat coming back that i put in when i first started for the p0420 code, magnaflows, walkers, whatever only seems to last a few years.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Starting Member
browntown is on a distinguished road

$300 out the door is not bad.

I do a lot of side work, and I like to get cats at eCatalytic. They're helpful because that's their specialty.

The cat shouldn't make it louder. The muffler is downstream, and that should handle the noise.

As abig84 said, universals aren't OE quality. I wouldn't call them garbage, but 3 years and 30k miles is about what you should expect to get out of aftermarket parts. If for no other reason, the welds tend to rust out after that. They just don't make aftermarket exhaust or cats with premium steel. If they did, the cost would be much higher.

Quick Reply: Catalytic converters and a hello