General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

The Cats

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:11 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: The Cats

I knew that wasn't a cat. Yeah, it may be a resonator. I was asked whether I wanted a resonator when I had my exhaust put on, and he described to me what it did, I said no. Its supposed todeflect the sound waves thatare not "wanted"and make the tone of the exhaust more uniform (basically, the sound will not change when its hot).

Old 09-16-2007, 08:49 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it really does nothing, quiets just a tad. They are more commonly use on rv's and trucks mainly( medium size delivery trucks to quiet the gas engine). There is no point to cutting or gutting the cats even on a V8. In most states it would not allow you to pass emissions. I have worked on other vehicles such as my buddies 885 rwhp 04 Cobra which we did have to replace the cats do to the twin turbo setup be we run dual high flow 2.5" Magnaflow cats (50 state legal) and connect to a 3" H-pipe and 3" Magnaflow cat-back. The car is emmissions legal. I really see no benifit. We tested with out the cats and he only picked up like 8.3 rwhp, which made no change in time at the track or performance you could feel. The only time the cats come off the car is on track days (Drag) then we connect the down pipes straight to the mufflers and tail pipes, a must with race gas as it will burn up a converter. Makes a tenth of a second difference. On the street you wouldn't be able to put your foot in it hard enough.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Out it goes.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:29 PM
2001blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

cut out what you dont want but keep the cats you wont notice a gain in HP really and hey im no tree hugger but you might aswell keep them cuts down on pollution

Old 09-16-2007, 11:52 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

No im keeping the cat but taking off the resonator, just to make my exhaust a tad bit louder.