General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Convert steering wheel radio controls to paddle shift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 11:39 AM
Starting Member
ralphrides is on a distinguished road
Question Convert steering wheel radio controls to paddle shift?

Hi All, Has anyone tried to figuring this out?

I have a 2019 4wd V6 Blazer with 8 speed automatic.

In the console shifter L mode you can manually upshift or down shift using the + - button on the side of the shifter. In full upshift at 8 it goes auto for normal driving.

The steering wheel has radio controls under the left and right side that are in the same area that a paddle shifter would go. I don't use them but would love to have a paddle shift instead.

Is there a simple way to change the right side volume controls to upshift and the left side station controls to downshift when in L mode?

Can you send me a schematic on what to rewire?

Can you send a schematic of the radio controls and one of he transmission?

Old 04-17-2021, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

This is going to be a hard topic to get an answer, as the new blazer has yet to be REALLY talked about.

I think I can count the members on 1 hand lol... don't get me wrong, not trying to push you away, but might need a little patience with this...

Have you talked to gm about this? Or is there a gm manual available for the new blazer yet or?

Old 04-18-2021, 02:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In the older trucks, the radio controls were a two wire arrangement where voltage was fed from the fuse box into the switches which controlled power flow through to the radio which provided the ground to the circuit. The switches controlled the power flow through resistors and the radio differentiated which switch was pressed by the voltage it received on that circuit. This type of system could be, theoretically, hacked into and altered to suit.

However, here is the rundown on the setup of the steering wheel switches as defined for my 2016 Sierra:
The steering wheel control switches duplicate the function of the primary controls of the associated component, through a network of momentary contact switches.

The Steering Wheel Controls are divided into a right-hand set and left-hand set. The right-hand switch is connected to the IPC LIN serial data and provides input from the left-hand, left-hand rear, and right-hand rear switches.
As you can see, the switches in my 2016 Sierra are joined into the serial data line which if I am reading the schematics correctly actually is in the steering wheel side of the clock spring. I'm sure they are doing something similar on your 2019.

My point is that unless you want wires on the outside of your steering column from the physical switches, there doesn't appear to be any other way to get at them on the vehicle side of the clock spring as any button interaction at that point is in the digital information stream of the serial data bus, not an analog electrical signal.

You could talk to a tuner and see if it would be possible to remap the button through programming.