General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Cutting an access door to get to the fuel pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 11:30 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Cutting an access door to get to the fuel pump ?

Replacing the GM fuel pump is a common thread on this forum. It is a persistent problem if you use some other brand of pump other than the OEM AC Delco or Delphi manufacturer. I have always thought that it would be a good idea to make a access panel so when the time came, all you would have to do is to pull back the carpet in the cargo area and now a hard job becomes a quick and straightforward one. Several have done this access panel and recommend it. Some have thought about having a kit with a template of where to cut and how to attach and so on.
Sealing the 'cut access panel' so no fumes come into the passenger compartment would be critical.
To see some of these ideas, go to the Builds section and look for the thread: 'Just another blazer LT' build by OP Besel. See posts no.s 26, 27 and 28. Then I happened to read that the Jeep Liberty 2002 to 2007 had a OEM access door. I found a step X step on the net for this Liberty with photo's and great description for the DIY. Here is a link below.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/2002+20...lacement/55456
My idea is to go to a salvage yard and cut one out a Liberty and transfer it to your Blazer or JImmy. If you decide to weld it in place, you will probably need to drop the tank one last time to allow for a safe weld directly over the fuel tank. I think you may be able to do it without welding by cutting the Jeep Liberty piece a inch or so wider than the hole you cut in the deck. Then you could mount it using a sealant and screws.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:23 PM
Starting Member
BlazerDog97S10 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Obliged for the info. I already had the fuel pump replaced in 2019 and I decided next time I'm going to cut an access hole and replace the pump myself. My idea was just cut the hole out, get some plate steel to go over the opening and rivet in some threads to screw it into and then seal it with a rubber gasket or just use silicone sealant or something. Doesn't need to be replaced all too often so don't need a hatch accessible all the time.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:59 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Personally, I think it's kinda silly. Like cutting an access hole in your hood to get to the dipstick. Just do it the right way, with a good quality fuel pump, and you'll probably never have to do it again. If you must make a hatch, though, check a marine supply store for a deck hatch so you can at least make it look clean.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:48 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

If you have access to a garage with a lift and the trans. style lift with straps, it would be a straight forward job. I am working on a dirt gravel drive with jack stands and a jack from HFT. That makes the access door more appealing to me.
Yes, I know it helps to run the gas tank as low as possible.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:54 PM
Starting Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
If you have access to a garage with a lift and the trans. style lift with straps, it would be a straight forward job. I am working on a dirt gravel drive with jack stands and a jack from HFT. That makes the access door more appealing to me.
Yes, I know it helps to run the gas tank as low as possible.
Yes it's easier with a nice garage and equipment and most folks don't have the luxury of any of that, which is why an access door will make things 100% easier and not having to empty the gas tank and remove straps and what not. Just open a hatch and boom there is it. Should've been that way to begin with if you ask me, but myself being myself if something isn't how I want it; I make it how I want it.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:57 PM
Starting Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tom A
Personally, I think it's kinda silly. Like cutting an access hole in your hood to get to the dipstick. Just do it the right way, with a good quality fuel pump, and you'll probably never have to do it again. If you must make a hatch, though, check a marine supply store for a deck hatch so you can at least make it look clean.
Well there's already an access hole for the dipstick and that's the hood so that example is pretty silly itself. Even doing it "the right way" things can fail even if it's a "good quality pump", and it would make the job a hell of a lot easier for us with no shop or lift and just basic tools.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I've seen a couple attempts at this.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Here is a thread I saved on this very topic:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...replace-92490/

Old 04-25-2021, 08:15 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

I see the merits in that modification, thanks for that link, christine_208

Old 04-26-2021, 12:59 AM
Beginning Member
steveduns is on a distinguished road

I have seriously considered making this mod to my 2000 4x4 Blazer. I'm usually in the camp of doing things the traditional way but if you're doing it by yourself in the driveway and trying to disconnect the fuel lines with limited access space one may change their mind. The last time I changed mine I broke one of the fuel line connections and had to splice in a new line/connector. 2 days later I had it parked in a parking garage and someone came in and told me I was leaking fuel on the ground. The whole garage smelled like gas. Had to perform the entire operation again by myself and afterwards decided the access hole would have been so much easier.