General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

decision time..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road
Default decision time..

Guys and girls.. I may be getting rid of my blazer I'm graduating highschool on the 31st and then next fall will be pursuing my PhD in chemistry. Unfortunately I work at a Sheetz and don't make that much money. I'll be commuting to college And I need a car with a little better gas mileage, and that is reliable to get me home every day. At first I was thinking of buying a junker for college, but my blazer hasn't had the fuel pump replaced and has some other problems that need searched for and fixed, like no heat. I think in my situation the blazer needs to go for now until o get a better baying job, and I can get myself another. What do you all think? Trade blazer or keep and try to deal with it?

Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Whats gonna cost you more?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You dont need heat, just bundle up, and its summer, and do you need the fuel pump to be replaced? if you dont, why worry about it. A junker = junk, no better gas mileage and worse off than the blazer, hence "junker"

Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM
BF Veteran

My father used to say, you may be buying someone else`s headaches

Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
trevhoff is on a distinguished road

unless you buy a new car, any used one will probably give just as many issues once the miles start adding on. i'd keep the blazer, stick with the car you're familiar with.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 PM

I don't need the pump replaced, but the gas gauge doesn't work and I am kind of worried about that. I won't be getting a junker. just trading the blazer in for a car, with cash involved of course. but my over drive doesn't work so my highway mileage is like 12mpg or worse. And I'll have a lot of highway miles coming up next fall.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

If the blazer is sound except for a gas gauge and overdrive, figure out how much all that would cost to fix. Doesn't sound like very much.

Originally Posted by newguy
My father used to say, you may be buying someone else`s headaches
^ Exactly. Why trade problems you know for problems you don't? If the blazer is paid for, you can pay for a lot of gas and repairs with what a car payment would cost every month. And trading for something equal in price to the blazer won't be much upgrade. It will be a car about the same age. So maybe the mileage is better, but who knows what kind of maintenance it's had (or hasn't had)?

I feel you on paying for gas. When I started college I was driving my '73, which averaged about 12 mpg. This was about the time Katrina had gas at $4+/gallon. And I wasn't making much working fast food. But it was a dependable car, and I never had to worry about it not starting up in the morning.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Sometimes the blazer doesn't start because of the security light. but then it goes away and it starts. I love my blazer, and I really don't want to get rid of it, but with a non working gas gauge I fill it up. that costs me about $50 a week. Which is about as much as a car payment is. When commuting to college that will probably go to $300 or maybe even $400 a month for gas. Then the tranny problem, and gas gauge will be fixed. I am now hearing a clunking that sounds like it's coming from under the driver seat when I'm braking or slowing down. Also the winters here are bad, and my windows freeze up without heat. And fog up unless the window is cracked. IDC about AC though. I just feel that right now MY blazer isn't the car for me through college. I understand everyone's argument. I won't be trading for someones headaches. If I do end up trading it'll be for a newer car, with a down payment and small monthly payments. I know in the end the blazer would be the cheaper way to go, but I only make around $600 a month, and if something bad went out in the blazer I won't have the money to pay for it. I would work out a warranty with s dealer or something. If I do end up getting rid of my baby, then I will definitely be getting a zr2 after college. I am looking for a 4cyl s10 but they're hard to find around here.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran

Sounds like you`ve already talked yourself into it. 50 a week for gas 200 a month same as a loan payment, ok. But now you have 200 for the loan plus gas. No savings there. Plus your ins. goes up because you have a loan for the new car. More money. But like I said, sounds like your going to do it anyway

Old 05-20-2013, 01:45 PM

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it.I'm looking at both sides here. The blazer will be more than 200 a month for gas during college. It's 200 now. I'll be putting 40 more miles a day during college. I haven't decided yet. Gas is just killing me right now, I have to fill it up all the time. I just found out my grandfather has cancer so this summer I'll be driving over 200 miles one way to see him more than one time. That's like $150 estimated one way in gas. I may just get a cheaper gas saver and keep the blazer though.

Quick Reply: decision time..