General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

decision time..

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

As far as having to fill it up because of the gas gauge, what is the difference in having to put $10 in five times a week versus $50 once a week? The mileage is the same no matter how you pump the gas. It's irritating, for sure, but not costing you anything.

You need to figure out how much gas will cost with the newer car, and how much you are using in the blazer. If the difference us less than your payment, you're losing money.

So what's up with the heater? It's a pretty simple system. Not really any moving parts. If the core is leaking or clogged, it's a pain, but cheap enough to replace. Or is the problem in the hvac / blower somewhere?

Not trying to pick on ya, but did you really think we could just let you walk away from the blazer life? Lol.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 PM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road

The difference is I can put $10 in and know I'm at half rather than to worry about running out.and I know You're not picking on me, Lol I take criticism as advice in a way. I looked at a cobalt I'm interested in. I did the math and the blazer would cost me Around double the gas. The car payment would be $200 a month. It ends up being about the same after gas and the payment are added up, BUT I am in a more reliable car that has heat, shifts right, and has brand new tires on it. I will miss my blazer greatly, but I feel that for now it is my time to part with it. I made sure to stick with gm. If I get the cobalt am I still welcome here in the forum? I plan to get a blazer again eventually. I would love to stay on the forum, I feel as if you guys could all help me out if I need any help with the cobalt.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Dont wast your time with swanman. He`s already made up his mind. He`s trying to convince us now

Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 PM

Convince you with what? I don't see why you're being offended by me wanting a more reliable vehicle with better mpg. I love my blazer but in my situation I think I'm in need of a car. I have made up my mind. after thinking about it for over a week I'm trading the blazer. As I recall there are other members on here without a blazer. After being a part of this forum for a little while I figured I could come here for non blazer related tips, but maybe not.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swanman35
The difference is I can put $10 in and know I'm at half rather than to worry about running out.and I know You're not picking on me, Lol I take criticism as advice in a way. I looked at a cobalt I'm interested in. I did the math and the blazer would cost me Around double the gas. The car payment would be $200 a month. It ends up being about the same after gas and the payment are added up, BUT I am in a more reliable car that has heat, shifts right, and has brand new tires on it. I will miss my blazer greatly, but I feel that for now it is my time to part with it. I made sure to stick with gm. If I get the cobalt am I still welcome here in the forum? I plan to get a blazer again eventually. I would love to stay on the forum, I feel as if you guys could all help me out if I need any help with the cobalt.

Cobalts aren't bad cars. I have an '06. It gets close to 40mpg (high 30s) on the highway. Not much power, but if you sidestep the clutch and keep it above 4k, it pulls decently well. I will tell you, though, that while the engine and transmission (at least the 5 speed, anyway) are bulletproof, the car that they built around it is pretty cheap! Mine has a ton of rattles, and the interior is pretty low rent. It does have 156k HARD miles on it, though. The only repairs I've done, aside from routine wear items (brakes, battery, tires) was the clutch at 90k, front struts a little while after that, and a crankshaft position sensor. Also had to clean out the throttle body once to correct a horrible idle situation.

In the long run, I feel it's better to not have car payments, but it's up to you.

Originally Posted by newguy
Dont wast your time with swanman. He`s already made up his mind. He`s trying to convince us now
I think so, lol. He's a lost cause!

Last edited by cleburne red; 05-20-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM

I will one day have a blazer again, promise. Maybe even a Z!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by swanman35
Convince you with what? I don't see why you're being offended by me wanting a more reliable vehicle with better mpg. I love my blazer but in my situation I think I'm in need of a car. I have made up my mind. after thinking about it for over a week I'm trading the blazer. As I recall there are other members on here without a blazer. After being a part of this forum for a little while I figured I could come here for non blazer related tips, but maybe not.
Sorry if it seems that way, not offended but you ask what we would do when it seems you`ve already made up your mind
. We gave you good reasons to keep the blazer and you still keep trying to talk us into it

Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 AM

I'm not talking you into it. After a few weeks of thinking this is what I've thought about. I've asked on here simply to see of there was anything k wasn't thinking about. everything you guys said I took into consideration. I just think as a young person without much money this is the better choice for now. I can trust this car not to break. I just worry about the blazer.say the tranny or fuel pump went out. Then that's a large chunk of cash I need right up in order to get it fixed. At least with a payment I know it's coming and can spend my money managing that into it. I will miss my blazer greatly, my girlfriend used to get mad at me for working on it so much. I've worked on it for hours while it was snowing below 20 degrees to get the LIM, spent hours hammering out the old u joints, I've spent money I had to save up for weeks to get it running and safe. I will definitely miss it, but hopefully another person will take over with more money and get more done to it.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 AM
CPLSeraphim is on a distinguished road

Time for a short story. I had a 1996 Ford probe and a 2001 Jeep Wrangler. My Wrangler was my baby. The probe was fun as hell. Wrangler had a crapton of money put in in. 6 inch susp. 3 in body, 38 inch Super swampers to say the least. I had these when I started college. Granted, the jeep wasn't paid off yet, but got like 8 MPG on a good day. Shortly after, me and my fiancé found out we were pregnant. I started looking into a safer vehicle, and bought a 2007 Saturn Ion 2. Traded both the wrangler and the probe in. Had the saturn for a little bit. it got better gas mileage than the jeep and the probe, and did alright for a little bit, then the problems came, and with newer cars, the cost of fixing a simple problem are much greater, and half the time you need a degree from MIT. Basically, the Saturn started costing me to much to fix little things, and I went to a mid 90's car. I can work on something before everything was ran on the computers. Point and case, I miss my wrangler, and bought another, a 91, after college. It wasn't the same, and that's how I end up on blazer forum, I traded the 91 for a blazer.

Think real hard about the cost of new vehicle ownership vs the cost of maintaining what you got. It is cheaper to keep what you have, but people use this kind of reasoning because they are really wanting something different. I do it all the time with my wife.... lol. And it is a tactic I learned when getting my degree in economics. lol.

Good luck, but I would stay with what you got, bud.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM
BF Veteran

Example, take out a loan to fix everything on your truck 2000.00 take out a loan for a new used car 7000.00. do the math

Quick Reply: decision time..