General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Deep Thoughts.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Beginning Member
HHimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Deep Thoughts.......

Sometimes i wonder if others feel the way i do....
My lil' 94 Jimmy has seen better days. I bought it for 500.00 about a year ago, knowing it needed work. I home report for work with my work van, so the Jimmy isnt driven everyday, wife has her own car, too. I've already put on some fenders, fpr, nut kit, p,w,c, and rotor, class 2 hitch, tps, on and on and on. But at what point do you say, "I'm done!" When do you decide that putting anymore money into a cheap truck isn't worth it? What do you think you would do: try to do a rebuild on a seperate yard motor and trans and swap it in, or just drive the truck till its sitting on the side of the road in flames? I have no problem attemting the work, but is it worth it? Should i just save my money and find something else in better condition? Questions, questions, questions....

Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

If it were me (and it's just my way of thinking) I wouldn't want to pour money into something that isn't worth it. If it was my DD and I didn't have the means to get a new vehicle, then it's a different story.
With that said though, it sounds like you did buy it as a project truck. So you would have to ask whether or not you want to make it into a long term project and maybe turn it into a mud truck or something along those lines or if you're just fixing it up for nothing. I'd say get something newer unless this one is going to become a mud truck...but that's just me.

EDIT: Based on what your sig says I take it you don't plan on making it a mud truck lol. I'd say get something newer. Unless you could get your hands on a V8, and do a V8 swap in it...in that case it would be a sweet truck

Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Beginning Member

I guess ive been trying to look at it this way. In order to get something else in better condition, its gonna take a good 3000-4000 bucks, then more on top of that to fix that up. If i were to take 3-4k and put it into the truck i have, i would have a sweet little truck! Well i think i would.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HHimmy
I guess ive been trying to look at it this way. In order to get something else in better condition, its gonna take a good 3000-4000 bucks, then more on top of that to fix that up. If i were to take 3-4k and put it into the truck i have, i would have a sweet little truck! Well i think i would.
If you're looking at that kind of money you'd have to keep in mind you'll never get that kind of money back for the truck should you decide to sell it. But if you really enjoy the truck, and like working on it as a project then by all means keep it and put the money into it. There's nothing better then having a project like that and completing it.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the advice, it's good sometimes to get a second opinion on things. I will put the money into it. It's enjoyable to have a vehicle you can do anything you want to it and not feel guilty about it!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM
blazerguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

honestly i am kind of in the same boat my Blazer isnt my DD (i catch a ride to an from work with my boss/dad so i dont need it for work) but i do love it and even though it is a 2000 i can do almost anything it needs for repairs myself ... plus i just got done repainting it. just stick the money into your truck as it sets now and drive it into the ground. worst case scenarior it does burst into flames 5-10 years from now who knows.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Starting Member
hotrod413 is on a distinguished road

Sometimes i wonder if others feel the way i do....
My lil' 94 Jimmy has seen better days. I bought it for 500.00 about a year ago, knowing it needed work. I home report for work with my work van, so the Jimmy isnt driven everyday, wife has her own car, too. I've already put on some fenders, fpr, nut kit, p,w,c, and rotor, class 2 hitch, tps, on and on and on. But at what point do you say, "I'm done!" When do you decide that putting anymore money into a cheap truck isn't worth it? What do you think you would do: try to do a rebuild on a seperate yard motor and trans and swap it in, or just drive the truck till its sitting on the side of the road in flames? I have no problem attemting the work, but is it worth it? Should i just save my money and find something else in better condition? Questions, questions, questions....

im in the same boat, my friend...my 85 has a rod knock, and Ive already tried to patch it with new bearings, but it still has a slap slap on start-up and higher RPM's....Im still driving it around a little bit (mainly to the car wash to degrease the engine bay for the swap)

Im going to get a certified used engine with a 30 day warranty/unlimited miles, and swap it in BUT Im going to put the engine thats coming out, on an engine stand and build it the way I want....

I paid 200 for mine, have 100 invested in parts, and soon 750 for the engine...so thats 1050 total...BUT the body is hella nice, could use a paintjob if I were picky, and a new headliner.....

I dont think I could have found a 4x4 5 speed 2dr in better overall condition for under 1500...plus since the engine was bad before I got it, it wasnt driven much

sometimes you have to ask yourself "could I buy something nicer for the amount I have invested, or keep something I already own and KNOW it will last me a long time with the amount of work I put into it"

keep replacing parts, and pretty soon you will have a new truck

Last edited by hotrod413; 10-08-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: bad mental math
Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member

"Im going to get a certified used engine with a 30 day warranty/unlimited miles, and swap it in BUT Im going to put the engine thats coming out, on an engine stand and build it the way I want...."

That sounds like an excellent idea, is the motor a yard motor? I figure i could get an ok yard motor and trans and rebuild those at my leisure. In the mean time, ill do a compression test on mine and see how it looks. Ive got 163k on this motor and trans. Just want to make sure top end looks ok for now. Of course, most vehicles at the yard are there for a good reason, so...

Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Starting Member
hotrod413 is on a distinguished road

"Im going to get a certified used engine with a 30 day warranty/unlimited miles, and swap it in BUT Im going to put the engine thats coming out, on an engine stand and build it the way I want...."

That sounds like an excellent idea, is the motor a yard motor? I figure i could get an ok yard motor and trans and rebuild those at my leisure. In the mean time, ill do a compression test on mine and see how it looks. Ive got 163k on this motor and trans. Just want to make sure top end looks ok for now. Of course, most vehicles at the yard are there for a good reason, so...
its a yard motor, but from a wrecker/salvage vs a regular junkyard...at the jy they dont do a compression test, warm it up, or anything like that...the place im getting it from starts them, runs a compression test, runs them at temp, checks for fluid mixing where it shouldn't, etc...not bad for 750..ill put it in, then make my trip to cali within the 30 days so that if its a dud, Ill know for sure, AND itll get replaced.....

Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Beginning Member

Still sounds great, i have done some searches on car-part.com, its a yard and salvage part search for the country, and it has come up with similar motors in that price range, most have been assured they will run as well.

edit: found a 4.3l w/100k on there for 600.00 less than 15 miles away. 325.00 for a new auto trans! Even with minor effort, for about 1000.00 you could breathe some considerable life to an old vehicle! Thats for me!

Last edited by HHimmy; 10-09-2009 at 06:47 AM.