Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   DIY ideas? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/diy-ideas-41026/)

CraigSnedeker 02-18-2010 07:21 PM

DIY ideas?

I'm looking for a summer project (or projects) since I'm out of school for good, I'll have lots of free time (of course, I gotta look for a job). Anyone got ideas for my blaz?

I'm gonna paint the wheels/front bumper/trim black and finish up adding red trim to the doors. Anyone got ideas?

ABN31B 02-18-2010 08:22 PM

follow me on this...
hole saw, $30, Home Depot snorkel...

go junkyard cruising and find some: brush guards/light guards/roof rails/tow hooks/skid plates/overhead console upgrades/camaro rims/tow hitch reciever <-- refinish them and slap them on.

that should keep you busy for a few days ;)

DIY a light bar

DIY my truck projects

DIY interior trim panels

taba5 02-18-2010 09:05 PM

DIY all clear headlights, its not hard AND you practice your baking skills

Spectreblazer 02-18-2010 09:08 PM

roof clearance lights-

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...earance+lights

vac gauge-

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...t=vacuum+gauge

x2 on junkyard specials

CraigSnedeker 02-19-2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ABN31B (Post 301960)
follow me on this...
hole saw, $30, Home Depot snorkel...

go junkyard cruising and find some: brush guards/light guards/roof rails/tow hooks/skid plates/overhead console upgrades/camaro rims/tow hitch reciever <-- refinish them and slap them on.

that should keep you busy for a few days ;)

DIY a light bar

DIY my truck projects

DIY interior trim panels

Ya that should keep me busy xD

Originally Posted by taba5 (Post 301985)
DIY all clear headlights, its not hard AND you practice your baking skills

I wish, but I dunno if that's legal in NY (no orange on the corners, but I probably could since I have the bumper lights)

i'll prob be getting junk yard parts for the rear bumper (upgrade to 08 bumper) if only I could find a junk yard lol

Sisk 02-19-2010 01:16 PM

I don't see the "off road" look being applicable to Craigs Blazer though. Not with the running boards and other accessories he has. His Blazer does not have an off road look to it in the least bit. I wouldn't recommend getting a brush guard or roof baskets or anything like that. I just think it would look out of place on a "grampa blazer" (no offense to you Craig...your Blazer does look nice, it's just a Grampa vehicle with the running boards). I could see doing roof lights though, but they're not usually cheap.

How about devoting all your time to finding a job first, then start planning projects once you have income? There's not much you can do without a job and no money...just my :icon_twocents:. Get your priorities in order dude. Your 17 right? That's a year thats gone by that you could have been working and saving for your truck. Hell, even if it's @ rotten ronny's flipping burgers, it's still income.

ABN31B 02-19-2010 01:18 PM

an 08 bumper....

as in grade 8 bumper hardware or an '08 trail blazer's bumper

or someother thing along those lines?

also when should i expect you in for the DIY my truck projects?
and i can help on the job hunt too... i've got like 150 or some crap that i could point you too :icon_goofygrin:

*EDIT*
@ Sisk: http://www.delgenio.com/thestud/roflcopter.gif

Sisk 02-19-2010 01:27 PM

lol...thansk for the ROFL copter Curtis. I wasn't trying to be a douche...so sorry if I came accross as one. I was just saying you should really think about getting a job first. Once you do that the possibilities are endless since 90% (if not more) of that income is expendable cash when you're that age. Hell, I wish I was 16 again with no bills lol. I had soo much money I didn't know what to do with. Set me up to buy my own home at 19 though, and have my own vehicle too.

ABN31B 02-19-2010 01:40 PM

damn man, i got the wrong job as a kid then....

i washed dishes/ran a drive through at a rotten ronny's *lol btw* for enough cash to cover my insurance and fuel for the Nova.....

I guess i could have lived in the back seat and had my own home and vehicle too..... :icon_doh:

wtf high school job did you have? plastic surgeon? :icon_eek:

wlorton 02-19-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ABN31B (Post 302271)

i washed dishes/ran a drive through at a rotten ronny's *lol btw* for enough cash to cover my insurance and fuel for the Nova.....

I guess i could have lived in the back seat and had my own home and vehicle too..... :icon_doh:

I worked at the local nursery hauling rocks for ponds... and then for the gas dept. I got like up to 100 hours every two weeks with an average of 88.... that was blown in the first year of college though...

CraigSnedeker 02-19-2010 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk (Post 302255)
I don't see the "off road" look being applicable to Craigs Blazer though. Not with the running boards and other accessories he has. His Blazer does not have an off road look to it in the least bit. I wouldn't recommend getting a brush guard or roof baskets or anything like that. I just think it would look out of place on a "grampa blazer" (no offense to you Craig...your Blazer does look nice, it's just a Grampa vehicle with the running boards). I could see doing roof lights though, but they're not usually cheap.

How about devoting all your time to finding a job first, then start planning projects once you have income? There's not much you can do without a job and no money...just my :icon_twocents:. Get your priorities in order dude. Your 17 right? That's a year thats gone by that you could have been working and saving for your truck. Hell, even if it's @ rotten ronny's flipping burgers, it's still income.

Yeah my truck isn't meant for off roading =D

I actually earn a bit of money doing websites. I'm doing 6 right now o.o but I'm gonna get a job once I'm out of school this june.

But most DIY mods are cheap. :)

Spectreblazer 02-19-2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk (Post 302255)

$30 thats it.....

Originally Posted by ABN31B (Post 302271)

im in highschool and i work for john deere. mostly setup though. you know that mower you got i put that together from pieces... kinda scary since im only 17 also there is jobs out there its just highschool students usually have something else on their minds:icon_playing:

:sorry about getting offtopic craig:

kiwiblazer 02-20-2010 01:01 AM

I got roof lights on my Grampa Blaza! LOL

taba5 02-20-2010 07:20 AM

The corners you would def. have to check with state law, even though I KNOW you can get amber lights to light up the clears. I dont want to be held liable for lending you the idea that gets you a ticket or fails a "check"

Im a HS drop-out, so I have nothing interesting to share, I paid rent @ 15 so I was working FT at the local pizza joint, worked the state into getting my license before my graduating class and got bumped up to delivery driver @ said pizza joint...damn this was nearly 11yrs ago

Sisk 02-20-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer (Post 302478)
I got roof lights on my Grampa Blaza! LOL

Ken, you're truck is not by any means a grampa Blazer...even if it's a grampa driving it :icon_laugh:. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm going to hijack here for a second...:icon_hijack:
To answer your question Curtis...I had a job from the very day I turned 16. I started working at Dairy Queen flipping burgers, but only stayed there for 3 months. I then moved on to work at Superstore (aka Loblaws, a grocery store) and was there for 3 years through out high school. Straight out of high school I started working full time at a Bank on salary. Living at my parents place at the time and having next to no bills (short of car insurance) meant 90% of my cash was expendable. This allowed me to save up to buy my civic off my parents, and shortly there after secure a mortgage to purchase my own home at the age of 19. Having a salaried job helped a lot with that though. Grant it, I only live in a mobile home (or trailer if you'd like) but it's still MY home (I refused to have my parents name on anything) and honestly it's pretty damn nice. It's not by any means a run down place like you might think. Was it easy taking all this on at 19 and living on my own for the past 2 years? Hell no. I hit flat broke several times over the past couple of years (as recently as a few months ago). But, now that I have a great job with a decent salary + commission I can't complain. I'm finally at a point now where I can be fairly comfortable financially and start thinking about saving and maybe even renovating to sell and move into an actual house.

Now that we have that out of the way (sorry for the life history lol) back on topic to stop hijacking Craig's thread...

Craig, you do have a point that most DIY projects are cheap, but you still have to purchase any materials you will need for the project. I know you'd already done some painting (which is pretty cheap) but now that you're looking for bigger and badder DIY projects they can still get pretty pricey.

CraigSnedeker 02-20-2010 06:39 PM

Craig, you do have a point that most DIY projects are cheap, but you still have to purchasehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif any materials you will need for the project. I know you'd already done some painting (which is pretty cheap) but now that you're looking for bigger and badder DIY projects they can still get pretty pricey.
That's true. And I don't really have a prob spending some cash to do the projects, but I don't have the ideas (reason for making this thread).

Anyway another idea I had was swaping out the center-console from an xTreme blazer (here's one on ebay). $100 isn't bad with snipping.

Sisk 02-20-2010 06:52 PM

Only reason I'm bringing up cost is because 90% of your previous posts were looking for cheap (or free) mods...and you always say since you don't have a job you have no money, so I assumed you wanted to do projects that didn't cost a lot.

As for that console...I'm 99% sure those aren't xtreme specific. They came on any later 2nd gen Blazer that had a column shifter if I'm not mistaken...
Anyway, that one has some odd staining on it. You could always paint it though or refinish it. Does your Blazer have the column shifter?

CraigSnedeker 02-20-2010 07:47 PM

That's true, I do earn money but since I have to put a lot away (car insurance for example).

Ok that makes sense (the column shifter) guess that one is from the SONOMA? And my shifter is behind the wheel so that one would work. And I'll probably be painting it gray anyway because the blue would clash with my red/gray interior. ^^

RangerG 02-21-2010 12:05 AM

DIY Spoiler? Cheap and will keep the Blazer grounded.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8...spoiler.th.jpg

I've had a job since I was 14. Still working there too. I probably have made over $25 000. Not too sure where it all went though. :icon_no:

I've almost got the Blazer paid off, but few hours at work and more expenses than income have kinda halted my progress. I did my income tax today and I will get back a lot less than I though I would. Time for a second job now that hockey season is over and I have the time!

ABN31B 02-21-2010 12:18 AM

well if you're gonna diy a spoiler...
https://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/att...er-ricer_1.jpg

but seriously: DIY chrome. since you are not a lift and mud kind of ride. might as well bling it out.
http://workplacefail.com/wp-content/...tinfoilsuv.jpg
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/28/tinfoil_car.jpg

ohsofly 02-21-2010 01:06 AM

Well I dunno if it will help you at all with your project, but would look cool Craig cause your blazer is black.

My next cheap projects for my new used blazer are:

Use VHT Nightshades paint to do my taillights and signals and marker reflectors black. This is cool paint, and you can ask anywhere that sells VHT high heat engine paints to get you some. Its like 10 bucks a can, and a can will make 8 taillights pitch black, 16 medium black. Ive used it on all my cars so far and its nice. Make sure you do many many many thin thin thin coats cause this stuff runs really easy but dries fast. After its dried in the sun for 6 hours you can clearcoat it with gloss or matte clearcoat. Prep the lights with alcohol really good and scuff them up with steel wool before painting, do this and its on there forever with no peeling.

Tint my back window and drivers windows. This project isnt for everyone, but I have tinted about 1400 cars by now, I used to do it as a part time job. Dont use crappy auto parts store tint though, go to a tint shop and buy some off the roll of their professional stuff, they should sell it to you for no more than 3 bucks a foot. Solargard and Llumar are excellent brands and wont turn purple like Im sure you have seen before on the streets.

Paint my hood and bumpers with boxliner spray - black.

Keep my eye out at the wreckers for a small steering wheel, you have a newer blazer so I dont think this will apply to you cause you have an airbag.

Keep an eye out at the wreckers for a black grille, I have a chrome one. Or find something that will make that chrome stuff peel off and leave me with a black grille.

Take the foglights off my broken down explorer and put them on.

Sell the explorer for 1000 as is and get some nice wheels for the blazer from craigslist or kijiji

Make my own dual exhaust setup with junkyard mufflers and bulk pipe from the parts store. Ill order some fancy tips online.

Make my own CAI so i dont have to remove the air filter box anymore to get my oil filter off and locate the air filter down low where its cool air. I dont do any mud bogging so it will be fine.

Find a center console at the wreckers, the one I have has a broken lid on it.

Make a second washer fluid bottle and pump that sprays water onto the front of my radiator automatically via a temp switch tapped into the thermostat housing. Keeps the engine cooler in the summer, it gets HOT here 6 months a year. I have this on my v8 s10 and it works like hot damn. Uses a gallon of water about once a week.

Keep my eyes peeled at the wreckers for things like a cowl hood, windshield visor and cowl, rear window visor/wing thing, ventshades for the windows, and any other parts I think will look cool. I fix peoples cars alot so I go to the wrecker yard alot.

Sisk 02-21-2010 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker (Post 302755)
That's true, I do earn money but since I have to put a lot away (car insurance for example).

Ok that makes sense (the column shifter) guess that one is from the SONOMA? And my shifter is behind the wheel so that one would work. And I'll probably be painting it gray anyway because the blue would clash with my red/gray interior. ^^

I doubt it's from a Sonoma. I don't think the Sonoma's had the same centre consoles as a Blazer. It's probably just out of a regular Blazer...A lot of Sonoma's has bench seats anyway..

CraigSnedeker 02-22-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ABN31B (Post 302883)
well if you're gonna diy a spoiler...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/atta...er-ricer_1.jpg

but seriously: DIY chrome. since you are not a lift and mud kind of ride. might as well bling it out.
http://workplacefail.com/wp-content/...tinfoilsuv.jpg
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/28/tinfoil_car.jpg

LOL no thanks

@ohsofly awesome ideas :)

@sisk ya your right,pickup's normally have bench seats

nj4x4blaze 02-22-2010 08:16 AM

Craig, ditch the running boards and purchase my stainless steel nerf bars that are sitting in my garage doing nothing.

Sisk 02-22-2010 09:33 AM

Too bad they weren't 2dr Nerf Bars Dave...I'd take them off your hands today lol.

nj4x4blaze 02-22-2010 10:35 AM

Sell your blazer and buy a 4dr..lol..

ABN31B 02-22-2010 11:22 AM

:icon_goofygrin: @ the last 3 posts...

CraigSnedeker 02-22-2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze (Post 303356)
Craig, ditch the running boards and purchase my stainless steel nerf bars that are sitting in my garage doing nothing.

Na, IMO nerf bars are ugly LOL

wlorton 02-22-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze (Post 303356)

I see no price....

Sisk 02-22-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze (Post 303386)
Sell your blazer and buy a 4dr..lol..

So that would be $4000-5000 nerf bars eh? Hmm...no thanks, I'll pass. lol

And Craig loves the grampa style running boards (for what reason I will never understand). You've gotta be the only person under 65 that likes then. Well at least you're ready for when you retire!! lmao, sorry Craig. I couldn't resist...all in good fun :)

wlorton 02-22-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk (Post 303530)
So that would be $4000-5000 nerf bars eh? Hmm...no thanks, I'll pass. lol

And Craig loves the grampa style running boards (for what reason I will never understand). You've gotta be the only person under 65 that likes then. Well at least you're ready for when you retire!! lmao, sorry Craig. I couldn't resist...all in good fun :)

Running boards are c*ck blocks for rocks.....
Future brother in law has them on his 98 1500...

Direct quote "hear them rocks hitting my running boards? Kinda loud? But I like it, means rocks arent hitting the truck" lol *999*

CraigSnedeker 02-22-2010 06:34 PM

Lol no worries ;) They don't look to "grandpa"is as the visor does xD

Sisk 02-22-2010 07:15 PM

I actually don't mind that visor. Gives it a "big truck" feel.

Spectreblazer 02-22-2010 07:53 PM

a visor makes it a mans truck

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_HPIM0791.jpg

ABN31B 02-22-2010 09:35 PM

OMG Alex, really? the visors on the little ass S-series SCREAMs "grandpa's ride".
Ahh! My old eyes can't handle the sun, and i dont want a new -fangled tint like the Ricer kids.... :icon_idea1: BRILLIANT! i'll give my s series a hat!

:icon_no:

big trucks = ok... i guess...

Sisk 02-23-2010 08:40 AM

lol. I think it gives it a big truck feel. Of course it's still a grampa ride being a 4dr with running boards, but still...the visor adds a little bit to it.

CraigSnedeker 02-23-2010 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk (Post 303984)
lol. I think it gives it a big truck feel. Of course it's still a grampa ride being a 4dr with running boards, but still...the visor adds a little bit to it.

:icon_pirate: It does even things out with the rear-wind-deflector thingy on the back.

Also they don't make these running boards anymore o.o Lund doesn't have them on their website.

Sisk 02-23-2010 06:15 PM

Good. They should all burn in a fire-ey death. I don't know who invented them, but I'm glad they're gone.

ABN31B 02-23-2010 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk (Post 304211)
Good. They should all burn in a fire-ey death. I don't know who invented them, but I'm glad they're gone.

so heart felt.... LMFAO!

wlorton 02-23-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk (Post 304211)

Dont be jealous you cant have a pair rusted on your blazer like mr two tow hooks... lol... jk....

Such harsh words...