General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
I use synthetic and go 6-7-8k miles between changes. They say synthetic does not start to break down until about 11k miles.

I just get the 5 quart jugs instead of individual quarts, like 35 bucks for the Mobil 1 full synthetic, and then a WIX filter.
now here the age old question, ive always ran normal non-synthetic blend oil. can i now start with synthetic? i talked to my old mechanic and he said it wouldnt hurt. but theres a reason hes my old mechanic so i cant really take his word on anything.

also besides WIX, any reccomended filters? i heard frams trash, purolator isnt bad. ive had napa gold filter in mine by my mechanic

Last edited by er0ck273; 03-30-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Napa gold and wix should be the same. Just stay away from fram. If you want you could start by running semi-synthetic for a few changes then go to synthetic. I only use wix or napa gold now myself, good quality and decent price.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

FWIW Ive been on a Valvoline max life kick lately. 5 QTS and a bosch filter is usually on sale at Autozoo for like $25... Run it in the blazer and my girls cherokee. I save the synthetic stuff for my Camaro

Old 03-30-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Napa gold and wix should be the same. Just stay away from fram. If you want you could start by running semi-synthetic for a few changes then go to synthetic. I only use wix or napa gold now myself, good quality and decent price.
yea that sounds like a good idea, i just looked at a fram cut down the middle, just looks cheap. anyone have experience with purolator?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

i use purolator filters never had a problem with them but i've never had a problem with frams either but i switched just in case

Old 03-31-2014, 12:29 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by er0ck273
now here the age old question, ive always ran normal non-synthetic blend oil. can i now start with synthetic? i talked to my old mechanic and he said it wouldnt hurt. but theres a reason hes my old mechanic so i cant really take his word on anything.

also besides WIX, any reccomended filters? i heard frams trash, purolator isnt bad. ive had napa gold filter in mine by my mechanic
You can go back and forth between synthetic and non... you can even mix. There will be no harm done.. its all a myth.

Like Jason said. Napa Filters are made by WIX... so if you got a napa gold filter, you have a WIX filter. The only difference for example, your filter is 3518... napa it would be 518... Just missing the first number.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by richphotos
You can go back and forth between synthetic and non... you can even mix. There will be no harm done.. its all a myth.

Like Jason said. Napa Filters are made by WIX... so if you got a napa gold filter, you have a WIX filter. The only difference for example, your filter is 3518... napa it would be 518... Just missing the first number.
That is very good to know. My last question is with synthetic...I heard if you have a leak which I do somewhere but its slow. Will putting synthetic in make it leak worse? I saw a video on how synthetic can seep into places where usually conventional doesn't

Old 03-31-2014, 05:19 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

If you have a leak, you have a leak. It will only get worse either way

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by newguy
If you have a leak, you have a leak. It will only get worse either way
yea that makes sense...apparently my old mechanic was putting 5 in, but you guys say start with 4-4.5, could him overfilling it be a reason its leaking? because it looks like it could be from the top of the pan (maybe), but the oil actually drips from the rubber plugs right near the plug. anything above i cant see, but i heard also the pan bolts sometime just need to be tighetened, what size and how many are there

Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road

I use Mobile 1 Highmileage 5w-30 with the Mobile 1 oil filter. I have used the Puralator Pure One filter before.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change