General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Napa gold and wix should be the same. Just stay away from fram. If you want you could start by running semi-synthetic for a few changes then go to synthetic. I only use wix or napa gold now myself, good quality and decent price.
Yup, Napa golds are made by WIX.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
Yup, Napa golds are made by WIX.
gonna be another dumb questions, but where can i get a wix at? i checked 3 local walmarts, 2 advanced and pepgirls. walmart had nothing but fram, which is why theyre at walmart lol

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Napa you can (well napa gold is what its sold under, but still WIX) and Oreilly I dont really know about any other stores, since that is pretty much what we have around here is just them 2.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Wix locator

Go to the Wix site on the net and look for a locator for a dealer. My Walmart carries Fram, a few AC Delco and a few Motorcraft. Walmart has the best buy on oil, either syn or dino, but say away from the Fram oil filters. Their lower end filters are cheap. Go to the oil forum sight called bobistheoilguy.com for all the info in excruciating detail on oil, filters and related areas of maintenance. I will tell you most these do not like Fram. Just like brake pads, oil, and shocks, there are 'good, better, and best' grades of these filters. Fram's upper level of filters may be okay, but the lower end models are junk.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01xtreme_chevy
I use Mobile 1 Highmileage 5w-30 with the Mobile 1 oil filter. I have used the Puralator Pure One filter before.
I was gonna ask how the mobil 1 filters were...they are pticey I must say but if it works I dont mind if its worth the money

Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I`ve been using acdelco filters. Supposed to have a one way valve in them that stops dry starts

Old 04-14-2014, 12:45 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 AM

That oil filter study is dated 1999. In it they prefer the AC Delco over the Fram, the Wix over the Purolator. I still say for more current studies, go to BITOG.com oil forum.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by er0ck273
I was gonna ask how the mobil 1 filters were...they are pticey I must say but if it works I dont mind if its worth the money
I like them, yes they are a bit pricey but it's worth it to me. Last time I used a cheap filter (puralator) I took off the filter only to find that pieces of the filter were in the oil. Switched to Mobile 1, been using them for years and have had no problems.

I was thinking about getting the K&N oil filter that is reusable but its $200.00 on their website. You can take it apart and clean it with some cleaning solution they sale and put it back together and twist it back on. It also has a Million Mile Warranty like the CAI.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:45 PM

K & N also has a regular style spin off filter/ not reuseable/ for both the 2WD and the 4WD version of the 2003 Blazer. The 2WD version is $13.99 and the 4WD is $15.99 at O'Reilly's auto parts. They both have the 'wrench off' nut welded to the bottom of the filter for easy removal. The 4WD is 5.094" in length. It is the equivalent of the AC Delco PF 52 filter which is OEM for the 4WD Blazer. Both the Mobil 1 and the K & N are top quality filters.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change