General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

First time changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Give this a shot: CLICK

How would I change the filter WITHOUT changing the oil? Is that even possible? How many quarts of oil should I plan on having on hand? Should I get an AC Delco filter from Walmart? That could also explain the 5-10 PSI reduction in oil pressure (or maybe it was because I didn't use Lucas in this oil change?).

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 04-25-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 AM
cooper232 is on a distinguished road

sounds like you did good! next time buy a Wix oil filter. they are about 5 bucks at o'reilly's. hey all the nascars use them so surely they are good enough for a lil 4.3. and i use mobile 1 in all my cars. it costs a lil more but its worth it in my opinion. while you are under there make sure to check the oil lines that run from the engine to the oil cooler. those are prone to leaking. next time i need my oil changed i am going to call you and let you do it. sounds like you take more time than i do. lol

Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

great pic in oil welcome to the RP oil Clan! as for filter get a high grade oilfilter to match that oil like the K&N HP2001

Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by cooper232
sounds like you did good! next time buy a Wix oil filter. they are about 5 bucks at o'reilly's. hey all the nascars use them so surely they are good enough for a lil 4.3. and i use mobile 1 in all my cars. it costs a lil more but its worth it in my opinion. while you are under there make sure to check the oil lines that run from the engine to the oil cooler. those are prone to leaking. next time i need my oil changed i am going to call you and let you do it. sounds like you take more time than i do. lol
Thanks. Wix it is then. First thing tomorrow morning I am going to get that Fram TRASH outta there BEFORE BREAKFAST. How much oil should I expect to add after I change the filter? I am doing some long trips this month (300-400 miles each) and the last thing I want is to have the oil filter fail and have the engine seize 2 miles later.
Funny you should mention the oil lines. I had both replaced with Dormans. The ones from the oil filter to the engine in August 2008 and the ones from the oil filter to the radiator October 2009. The plastic fitting on the lower radiator might be crooked, but I had it rechecked and it was ok with no leaks. That was almost 8000-10000 miles ago with no problems. Believe it or not the upper line was rubbing the airbox and was getting scratched. I got a CAI to save gas and save the engine (preventing the oil line from getting ripped out of the radiator or wearing a hole in it).

Also since this was my first oil change, I did it on an afternoon when I had no classes and I went very slow so I know exactly what I was doing so I don't do something dumb like start it up before adding the new oil (friend of mine did that once. Never changed his own oil again). When I am trying to learn how to do something by myself or if it is something that if I mess up, it can cause expensive damage, I ALWAYS slow down and pay extra attention. Also I do some things unconventionally. To remind myself NOT to start the engine if starting it will cause damage or hurt someone working on it, I put the large Club on the steering wheel and I don't unlock it and store it in the trunk until the truck is good and ready to drive.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 04-26-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 AM
cooper232 is on a distinguished road

i am not sure how much oil you will lose when you change only the filter. i mean you will probably be ok with the one you got until you do the next change. just make sure you change it at every 3k miles. also after doing some research it looks like the supertech synthetic sold at walmart isnt too bad of an oil. and its only like 15 bucks for 5 quarts. the mobile 1 is 26 bucks for a 5 quart jug so its a lil cheaper. i am sure the supertech would be fine though if you make sure to keep up with your oil changes.

on another note... i am an information technology graduate from east tennessee state university with a concentration in networking. and a total counter strike addict. lol.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Give this a shot: CLICK
that was a cool little link TBB, where'd you find it? (or is it a secret?)

Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 PM

I got a Napa Gold filter. Now all I got to do is wait for a day this week when it isn't windy, cold or rainy since I don't have the luxury of a garage here and I don't want to get mud all over my clothes since I would have to crawl under the truck to change the filter. I also bought another oil filter breaker bar adapter (the one that goes around the end of the filter), so I don't have to remove the panel and risk destroying this filter. It is DEFINITELY getting done before Friday, when I make the 125 mile drive home for the weekend since this weekend is special. It is my birthday on Sunday and I am also going camping for the weekend.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 04-27-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link that I couldn't find earlier. Looks like Fram ToughGuard was ok but still has cardboard endcaps which is something you want to avoid. If you had a regular Fram/DoubleGuard/ExtraGuard or any of the variants (see the bottom of the link where it lists filters to avoid) I would say take it off ASAP. Looks like you'll be ok until your next change with your ToughGuard. For future reference, stay away from Fram filters in general. I use AC Delco or Purolator PureOne on my truck and the Wife's car simply because they're good or acceptable filters and easy on the wallet.

Link: http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html

Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 PM

Here's the link that I couldn't find earlier. Looks like Fram ToughGuard was ok but still has cardboard endcaps which is something you want to avoid. If you had a regular Fram/DoubleGuard/ExtraGuard or any of the variants (see the bottom of the link where it lists filters to avoid) I would say take it off ASAP. Looks like you'll be ok until your next change with your ToughGuard. For future reference, stay away from Fram filters in general. I use AC Delco or Purolator PureOne on my truck and the Wife's car simply because they're good or acceptable filters and easy on the wallet.

Link: http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html

Thanks. Obviously not going to Walmart again for oil filters. I thought all of the Frams were ok originally. Only reason why I picked one up there was because I got everything else there to change the oil (except the oil, which I got at Advance). All they got for my truck is Fram. They do have AC Delco, but NOT the one for my truck! I still don't want to take a chance, which is why I am switching out the filter. I am doing some long trips in May. Some over 350 miles one way. The last thing I want is for an oil filter to fail, leaving me stranded with a truck with a destroyed engine. Thanks to all of you for all the advice on this.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
Thanks. Obviously not going to Walmart again for oil filters. I thought all of the Frams were ok originally. Only reason why I picked one up there was because I got everything else there to change the oil (except the oil, which I got at Advance). All they got for my truck is Fram. They do have AC Delco, but NOT the one for my truck! I still don't want to take a chance, which is why I am switching out the filter. I am doing some long trips in May. Some over 350 miles one way. The last thing I want is for an oil filter to fail, leaving me stranded with a truck with a destroyed engine. Thanks to all of you for all the advice on this.
I changed out the filter. The Fram was alot worse quality than I thought. My oil filter wrench immediately punched a hole in it and it didn't want to come off quietly. I had to take the panel off again to replace it. After some fighting and getting oil all over my hands, clothes, driveway, etc. I finally got it off. I put some Royal Purple on the seal of the new filter and screwed it on as much as oily hands can do it. After cleaning up, I tried to tighten it again. It won't get any tighter. No leaks. Only thing that was strange was that it took a few seconds for the oil pressure to get above zero after checking the oil and starting it up. I was about to shut it down, but the oil pressure went up before I went to turn off the key. The funny thing is that my oil pressures are higher now and I don't hear noise on startup. ABSOLUTELY NEVER BUYING FRAM AGAIN! I just got to buy another 2 quarts of Royal Purple to have on hand in the unlikely event that the truck starts to leak or start burning oil since I have been using conventional oil for a long time.

Quick Reply: First time changing oil