General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Frame and body swap questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Groundunit is on a distinguished road
Default Frame and body swap questions...

I've got a 2000 Blazer 4dr 4x4 ls. I won't lie. My Blazer is a rust bucket. You should see the rust on the passenger rear quarter panel! I can stick my hand in there and almost pull off a chunk of it. The rocker panels are also rusting a bit, mostly bubbling. Additionally, right under the gas door, it's got a rust spot. Instead of batting cancer, I'd rather try to tackle a full on swap. Maybe even buying a crate motor. The dilemma I have is figuring out which frames I can use since there are many different wheel bases; which doesn't seem like too much of a problem. Wouldn't I just have to switch out the drive shafts? But then there is the 2wd and the 4wd, which I have heard have different frames. Can I use a 2wd frame for a 4wd or would I have to do welding or anything? I plan on doing this not anytime within the next few months, but I would like to plan. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 12-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Frames are different 2wd to 4wd, 2dr to 4dr, and ZR2 for a total of 5 different frames. But if you have a 4dr 4wd, then you just need to look for a 4dr 4wd. The body is the same between a 4dr 2wd and a 4dr 4wd though so if you are just going to swap out the rusted body for a less cancerous one, why worry about the frames at all?

Old 12-26-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Frames are different 2wd to 4wd, 2dr to 4dr, and ZR2 for a total of 5 different frames. But if you have a 4dr 4wd, then you just need to look for a 4dr 4wd. The body is the same between a 4dr 2wd and a 4dr 4wd though so if you are just going to swap out the rusted body for a less cancerous one, why worry about the frames at all?
I see what you're saying, I could just switch out the body! That would save a ton of time. Would an s10 body be interchangeable? I'm just worried I might find a lot of rust on the frame when I take it off, but it shouldn't be too bad. I worry about the frame since I might want to go to an s10 body instead of a blazer body. That's why I worry about the wheel base

Old 01-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Starting Member
dragoon1101 is on a distinguished road

wouldnt it just be easier to find another complete blazer and use parts off the old rusted one when you need them... i mean body swaps arent easy and you could find a good blazer for around the same price that is still running? i mean you need to buy another one to do the swap anyway??

Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by dragoon1101
wouldnt it just be easier to find another complete blazer and use parts off the old rusted one when you need them... i mean body swaps arent easy and you could find a good blazer for around the same price that is still running? i mean you need to buy another one to do the swap anyway??
I could. I got this one for 1500. I don't think I'll find a running one for that price for what I want, but that's a good idea. I could just find one with a dead motor or transmission and swap it out. The only thing wrong with this one is the body rust and leaf spring shackle rust... The transmissions and engine run (I'm not sure how well since I don't have a lot to compare it to) so I'd like to think this one is in pretty good shape.