General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Front Passenger Door Light Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 03:40 PM
jdmenn is on a distinguished road
Default Front Passenger Door Light Switch?

If the right front door light switch isn't connected to anything at all (ie, the wiring harness), how does the computer/alarm/interior lights know the door is open or being opened? Please tell me if I'm right or wrong, but my guess is the front passenger door latch assembly serves this function??

Here's why I ask: All 7 power window switches are INOP unless 1.) the front right door is open, or 2.) I hold the handle (either inside, or outside!) up! It makes no difference if the right door is locked or not, but the obvious benefit is the door won't open while I'm pulling on the handle just to get all 7 of the power window switches (read as, the whole circuit) to work.
I think it's an open-ground situation, not a short, because there's no power drain at all.

If while that door is open and all 7 switches are working, I use my finger or a tool to push the latch in/back (as if it was hitting the striker pin in the door frame), the whole circuit goes dead. And yes, opening the front right door does not turn on the interior lights nor does it trip the alarm like it should. 1999 Blazer LS 4.3 RWD 4D

Comments? Questions? As me anything about anything! HELP! Lol

Old 03-01-2020, 04:43 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Why didn’t you fix the r/f door switch?

Old 03-01-2020, 06:23 PM
jdmenn is on a distinguished road

The r/f (passenger) door light switch is not connected to anything...I thought I could find the bundle off the harness, but found nothing (after I took apart the glove box/bezel/kick plates), then I read on here that many models of 2nd gen Blazer/Jimmy (and probably S10s?) just don't have any connector/wire there, and that the existing switch is real but a dummy (use it as a spare if you need it on the driver's side). Did you mean for me to check/test the l/f (driver's side) switch?

It's interesting that I went to the junk yard, and 6 of 6 [2nd gen] Blazers had no wire connector on the right front door light switch. Finally I found an S10 that had an additional bundle coming off the harness at the glovebox light connector, that went to the r/f door light switch...I did not take note of the year of that S10.

If I misunderstood, please clarify. If what I say sounds mysterious, then go to your Blazer and do a tool-less expirement that only takes 2 minutes: Take everything out of the glove box, push up the spring-loaded retainer/loop, swing down the box, and look at the r/f light switch...do you have a connector/wires coming off of it? As for wires in my '99, one bundle has the following wires coming out of it: a connector for the r/f upper speaker; a connector for the light sensor in the r/f speaker grille; and one connector to the glove box light switch/bulb...but nothing for that door light switch...