General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Got some nerf bars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is a captive square nut in a box up in the body. It will move around quite freely, but should allow you to fully loosen it.

If it does not, then you have to cut a hole into that box to gain access to it. I have seen people drill a hole up into the box and then put a bolt in the hole just to have something more for the captive square nut to hit against. But that does not sound like your problem. Sounds like everything is working as it should for you.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Thanks Kyle, just wanted to be aware of any potential snags.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

how hard would it b to make ur own nerf bars

Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen99
how hard would it b to make ur own nerf bars
Well, if you had the bars themselves already pre-bent, or if you get them bent to fit your truck, it's just be a matter of drilling holes and fabricating brackets really.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Starting Member

hum lol what about square tubing? im learning to weld n what not right now so i was thinking about maken it a project

Old 05-07-2009, 02:56 AM

If you can weld and bend piping then you should be good. Shape the pipe like you want and hold it up to the truck where you want it to be mounted.. mark the spots on the frame where the end of the bars will be. Fab up some brackets and drill some holes.

As far as square piping goes, that'd be pretty cool looking, but wouldn't bending it somehow distort the square shape of it?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Starting Member

nah dont bend it just square it off,maybe even place it in the shape of a diamond

Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 AM

Go for it, post up some pics if you get it done!

Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Before I got these bars (& remember, they were free) I was planning on making some with 3" square or 3"x2" tubing (lying flat). The ends would be 2 45* cuts to get the 90* bend & then the brackets are really simple to make. This is still in the back of my mind as I really liked the idea of the squared off look. I will soon be changing my towbar (round pipe) for one with 3"x2" tube if I can negotiate a good price with the Chevy guys. It's currently on one of the Blazers being stripped for parts.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Starting Member

nice ill look into the cost

Quick Reply: Got some nerf bars.