General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Help me decide.1st or 2nd generation s-10.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

I'm an odd ball and probably wont be of much help, but personally I like the 1st gen S10 trucks, 1st gen 4 door Blazers, and 2nd gen 2dr Blazers. Just me though.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Mag-300 is on a distinguished road

Well the photo of the engine went through all right so I shall attempt another of the truck (Blink).

Attached Thumbnails Help me decide.1st or 2nd generation s-10.-1995-chevy-s-10-truck-001.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Hello all, been a while.Life happens.We have been working on several things but basically decide to go with an 88 s-10 blazer.It is your basic 4x4 with the TBI 4.3(with a blown head gasket).I have a question for you tonight.I also have a 92 CPI 4.3 with all the goodies.Which should I use in this blazer.I have heard bad things about the cpi vortec but also some good.I do know the TBI is good but not a zippy little rice burning engine.
How bout it?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

A second gen would be cheaper and easier to fix with these trucks being so common. Many people [here/where I live] say a lot of bad things about Blazers, but there are far more of these STILL on the road than Exploders [buddy at work has a 2010 F150, always late and complains about the road conditions. I tell him he shoulda bought a Chevy..ok wandering off topic]. Modding yours would also make it stand out so it isn't so common looking and you can have the exact style you want.

Last edited by 98HeavyChevy; 01-17-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: clarify wording
Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mag-300
Hello all, been a while.Life happens.We have been working on several things but basically decide to go with an 88 s-10 blazer.It is your basic 4x4 with the TBI 4.3(with a blown head gasket).I have a question for you tonight.I also have a 92 CPI 4.3 with all the goodies.Which should I use in this blazer.I have heard bad things about the cpi vortec but also some good.I do know the TBI is good but not a zippy little rice burning engine.
How bout it?

if you have a complete truck (besides asking why not just drive that one) i'd swap over the engine & wiring harness to your '88.

it'll pretty much be a plug 'n play swap.

and i stand corrected as well (regarding my earlier statement about the Z-code in an early 2nd gen)

i came across a similar animal to yours about 3 months ago. '95 S10 xcab, 5 speed, 4WD. still trying to get the owner to sell it to me. (it's been sitting for more than a year now)

Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM

No matter which one I do I am seeking advice on the two 4.3 engines.TBI or CPI.I dont want to stick the cpi in then it doesnt last or perform like the tbi.I do appreciate all input and advice.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Starting Member
mov4x4 is on a distinguished road

I like the first gen. 2door s10 blazer and second gen 4 door.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mag-300
No matter which one I do I am seeking advice on the two 4.3 engines.TBI or CPI.I dont want to stick the cpi in then it doesnt last or perform like the tbi.I do appreciate all input and advice.
that my friend, all comes down to how the engines have been treated over their life.

while i had dropped in a W-code in my '84, the Z-code in my '92 would walk away from that truck!

even my brother's summer Dime with a tuned full custom high flowing exhaust W-code, had a hard time pulling away from me. don't know what the deal with it was, but it sure didn't have a limit to it.

if you know the history of one better than the other.........personally, i'd go with that one. regardless of which engine code it was.

reliability beats performance in a DD. @ least in my book it does.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks.I love hearing these stories.....z verses w or the other way around.That story was surprising.Yes you are correct about using what you are used to.As a matter of fact I have grown used to seeing the vortec lying on my old garage floor.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:38 PM
WTuck462 is on a distinguished road
Default 1st Gen 4x4 Blazer

My only piece of advice: Stay away from the pushbutton, supposed shift on the fly, vacuum operated 4WD system, it's the biggest POS that GM has ever let crawl out the door. Otherwise, they're pretty good little vehicles if you keep your maintenace up. I've got a 93 4X4, 4.3 Vortec CPI, Vin W, and it runs strong, the 4WD system sucks, and I'm in the process of trying to fix it.

Quick Reply: Help me decide.1st or 2nd generation s-10.