General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How to install a Hidden Hitch 2" assy on '03 Blzer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 09:27 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default How to install a Hidden Hitch 2" assy on '03 Blzer?

How do you install a 2" receiver Hidden Hitch trailer hitch for a 2003 Blazer ? Specifically, do you have to drop the gas tank ? Evap Canister ? Are there three bolts per side or are there hidden bolts ? Factory instructions say only 30 minute time ??

Old 04-26-2022, 04:01 PM

Yes, I did try an internet search for How to install a Hidden Hitch' and what I got were ad's from trailer hitch on line stores who were trying to sell a hitch so didn't want to tell the truth about the difficulties of installing a hitch. They were 'soft peddling' the difficulties of this project. Dropping a gas tank half full of gas is not a fun thing to do. All these ad's would say is a very optimistic '30 minutes'. VERY optimistic!
This Hidden Hitch 'is made of square iron and the end plates were from very thick plate steel. Some of the ones I looked at were round tubular steel. This Hidden Hitch is well made of square stock.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:42 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I was under my blazer the other day, and was looking at my receiver... for the 4 door, gas tank isn't in the way, carbon canister could be, but doesn't look like it(my bracket is gone and the canister is held up with tie wire).

I think the bumper would need to be removed tho.

As mine came with the hitch, I'm not too sure if this is correct or not. Just going by what i saw... hope this kinda helps...

Old 04-27-2022, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I installed this receiver on my 2002. I did not have to drop the fuel tank:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/CURT/C13020.html

George

Old 04-28-2022, 10:32 AM

George LC, my Hidden Hitch looks similar to this design except the main structure is bowed outwards toward the hitch, not straight across. Otherwise it seems very similar. Your Curt has three mounting bolts on each side as does mine. Same square tubing design. My main question : is your SUV a 2 door or a 4 door. Mine is a 2 door, and apparently that distinction makes a difference in the gas tank drop question. Thanks in advance, Jim in SC Both are 'bolt on installation-- no welding required' Thanks again, Jim
P.S. I hate to bolt everything back together after getting so close to dropping it down.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
George LC, my Hidden Hitch looks similar to this design except the main structure is bowed outwards toward the hitch, not straight across. Otherwise it seems very similar. Your Curt has three mounting bolts on each side as does mine. Same square tubing design. My main question : is your SUV a 2 door or a 4 door. Mine is a 2 door, and apparently that distinction makes a difference in the gas tank drop question. Thanks in advance, Jim in SC Both are 'bolt on installation-- no welding required' Thanks again, Jim
P.S. I hate to bolt everything back together after getting so close to dropping it down.
I have a 4 door 2002. Installation was easy peasey but ymmv given 2 door, IDK.

George

Old 04-30-2022, 10:13 AM

Thanks, George, for your quick reply. I will now spend my weekend trying to reinstall the bolts on the hitch, the Evap canister, the lower rear fender and so on. I will get every bolt and screw back in place while the skeeters chew on me. For those out there on the forum, be aware the 2 door has advantages and disadvantages. Some quick disacvantages: very few cat back exhaust systems available and you have to drop the gas tank to install or remove the heavy duty hitchs that bolts to the frame.