General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How well does your blazer handle in the snow?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member
hunter270270 is on a distinguished road
Default How well does your blazer handle in the snow?

Hey guys, this is my first winter with the blazer. I was wondering how well yours handles in the snow and ice. I was driving down some dirt roads that are covered in snow and ice. i was surprised how well the blazer did in just 2wd and how far i got before i had to put it in 4x4. I was also surprised how easy it was to get it sideways which concerns me a little. I was just wondering how everyone's handles.
Thanks guys
mine is a 2002 4 door and i have general grabber at2 255/70/15 other than that she is totally stock

Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I find that often in 2wd, getting going can be an issue. But it really depends on what type of snow, the conditions beneath the snow, grade, etc. But most times I stay in 4x while on the roads to maintain as much control as possible. Around here the snow is often wet, packs down, polished, and quite slick. But if I head up the mountain it is dry and completely different to drive in. The other night I noticed while driving my front end felt very light. So I slowed down, put it into 4wd, gave it some gas, and started to walk sideways. The roads were turning into ice! I wasn't able to stop or slow down enough to make 1 turn I wanted, just too icy, just slid. Anyways, the blue and silver did very well in the snow, I was able to drive through this deep stuff at work a few years back no problem. Compared to the white Jimmy I drive now, the blue and silver one handled better in the snow. The biggest difference is it had a fair bit more weight in the back (2 15's, lots of MDF, 3 amps, big battery).

The black one is my buddy's, yes he was sort of stuck here. I didn't have my winch installed, so it took a few tugs to get him free. I struggled to get much momentum. But it's fun!

Attached Thumbnails How well does your blazer handle in the snow?-dscf0266.jpg   How well does your blazer handle in the snow?-10361526_1045930925464777_8732038990095373175_n_zpsjfdbgk8i.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

As has already been said, conditions really matter. I'll also add what tires you have on matter a WHOLE lot.

These little Blazers have pretty good weight distribution front and rear which allows you to do things in 2wd that trucks can't. That being said, they will also get into trouble easier with such a short wheel base.

Though, when I put my chains on, the only thing I need to worry about is getting high centered. Not a problem in dry snow but can happen in wet snow fairly easy.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member
hunter270270 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input, i kind of figured that the condition really makes a difference. So far I'm very happy with how well it does in the snow and some of the crappy back roads I have been down. I just put tires on a few months ago so that not a issue. Do you think getting a locker in the rear would help at all or would that make it worse?

Old 12-17-2016, 02:07 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I do not really have an issue, I have just a 2wd trailblazer. I do have quite a bit more weight to work with and new tires. It also has traction control along with that so that is a blessing. It handles incredibly well for being only 2wd.

We recently got a snow storm that dumped around 10" of snow and it ate the roads like a champ.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Under 15" of snow I just air down to 8psi lock her in 2 dig and don't worry if I'm actually still on an actual road anymore or not!! I guess it's not really a fair comparison for me tho lol.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member
medicineman2011 is on a distinguished road

my 4x4 seems to want to go sideways on take off when its icy out. our snow in the south is really sleet though. I think next time i'll wait before I try to use 4x4 option.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:34 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

I've driven my 2WD S10 with bald summer tires on solid ice before. It sucked a whole bunch but I did manage to make it 7 miles before getting stuck at the bottom of a huge hill.

My 4WD Jimmy handles the snow and ice super well.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 AM
jnybob is on a distinguished road

My 02 4x4 is great in sand and snow. Don't let the wheels spin much. I have regular radials, not mudders.