General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

I found a sweet K5 I want to buy; advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 PM
BrownBeaver is on a distinguished road
Default I found a sweet K5 I want to buy; advice please

First of all let me think you ahead of time for any help. So, I'm new to the Chevy K5 Blazer world. I would like some advice on whether I should buy it or not.

This is what I found:
1983 K5 Blazer 6.2L diesel V8
3"body,3"suspension
35" mudders

Body:
Paint is charcoal grey. There are a few rust spots on the roof, and in the normal areas around the doors.
"Shoulder" sized dent in the passenger door, dont ask. Can be easily knocked back out from the inside.
Trim on the tail gate is peeling off.
Tires:
Plenty of daily use life left in them. Or replace them and use them as spares.
Engine:
6.2L diesel was made for fuel economy, has plenty of power as well. Little shake, possible motor mount getting worn out. But it hards to tell, the big MEAN is a beast.
Oil "Drip". I wouldn't even call it a leak.- depending on how much i use it, 1/4qt 60-90 days
Drivetrain:
Dropped the drive shaft out of it a few months ago. Everything is mechanically sound, just a little scarring. Rear yoke should be replaced eventually.
*Bearings in the front driverside need to be replaced. This is probably the biggest issue at the moment. It is causing a lot of vibration throughout the vehicle which can lead to further issues. It is also not allowing the 4x4 to engage.
Electrical:
Alternator is an after market model. It works, but doesn't produce enough to maintain both batteries. I currently keep a trickle charger under the hood and plug it in every few days. This is also causing issues with the eletric windows.
The Glow Plug relay was bypassed by a previous owner as part of a theft deterrent. This issue is that he put a flimsypush button switch that had to be manually pushed for 5-10 sec before you start up. The switch eventually melted (thats what happens with direct current!) Currently, i just cross the two wires 5-10 sec and everything is good to go. Needs a new switch or to be rewired to the original specs.

Ive used it mostly for pulling my boat (Also for sale-Pending) and back and forthe to work.

Sad to see it go, but the military wont move it and i cant afford to store it in Ca.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Thanks,

Matt

Attached Thumbnails I found a sweet K5 I want to buy; advice please-blazer.jpg  

Last edited by BrownBeaver; 11-23-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:40 AM
BrownBeaver is on a distinguished road
Default sell price

The price he is asking is $1000. I forgot to put that.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Dweeberman is on a distinguished road

If you dont buy it i will lol sounds like you will have to put a few dollars into it but I believe it will be worth it. you can part it out for more than what hes asking which is why i like the deal. Luckily cosmetics don't hinder the driving capabilities so you can save that way unless you are going for a show truck!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:45 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Totally jump on it!

Old 11-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

I'd do it. I just sold a 6.2 diesel truck and I regret the crap out of it. I put alot of work into it and did a 6.5 turbo setup on it as well.

"built for fuel economy" Yeah right, It will get better than your blazer if it's got a 700R4 but don't beat on it if it does because the torque the diesel will put out is more than enough to grenade that poor 700. Mine had 4.11 gears locked with a th400 and I LOVED the torque, fuel mileage was around 16 though.

EDIT: Here's a couple vid's of what it "should" sound like when running properly (minus the turbo whistle obviously)

[youtube]MIUssUrykN8[/youtube]

This one is before the turbo, Just installed new injectors
[youtube]tNLCK0Lf4aU[/youtube]

[youtube]FPjndZR32no[/youtube]

Last edited by Mike98Blazer; 11-25-2011 at 05:05 PM.