General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Im keeping the Blazer now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
D 5UPE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Im keeping the Blazer now!

Well Ive had this car for 2 weeks now and like the room it has and how multi purpose it is.
One of the drawbacks has to be the fuel costs. (Not Good over here in the UK)
So ive priced up for an LPG conversion to be done in 2 weeks for £2,100.
Im looking at getting the LPG tank under the car where the spare tyre goes. And theres another problem........where to keep a spare.
Thanks to this forums pictures ive noticed a swinging bracket that fastens on tothe rear corner of some s10 Blazers.
That would be the best bet but im not sure if there is reinforcement bars in the rear upper arch prior to drilling for this.
Has anyone on here had a LPG conversion, or fitted a spare tyre carrier.
Cheers
David.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Im keeping the Blazer now!

LPG being liquid propane?

That's pretty intense, do a hybrid conversion!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:32 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Propane convertions aren't that bad. I know a bunch of rock crawler buddies that have done them. If you buy the kits, theres really not much to it.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:48 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

most of the 4WD 2dr have the spare tire carrier on the back. Rcars2 has a 4dr and has installed the carrier on his. i believe he mentioned on here before what he had to do in order for it to work but you might try PM'ing him to get more info.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

most of the 4WD 2dr have the spare tire carrier on the back. Rcars2 has a 4dr and has installed the carrier on his. i believe he mentioned on here before what he had to do in order for it to work but you might try PM'ing him to get more info.
MakeRcars2 do up a how to

My spare is mounted inside... I don't like it

Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

u could also mount the tire up on the roof w/ a rack for it. btw how much is gas over there?? u could also consider goin to biodiesel but that might be more work for u.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I don't think you can effectively convert a gasoline engine to diesel...

GM tried and it didn't work out

Old 02-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Starting Member
Private_Ops is an unknown quantity at this point

Can Blazers be converted to run E85/gas? I'd love to run e85, be alot cheaper on me. Gas has hit $3.19 (the highest I've seen anyway) around my local area.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, not with the fuel injection setup. Even if the materials were appropriate, the injectors cannot flow enough to get to the appropriate AFR for E85. On an engine that isn't fully designed to run E85, you won't get the efficiency out of it. It is interesting though, in the IRL, when they switched to ethanol fuel and designed the engine to take full advantage of it, their efficiency improved!

About a gas engine to diesel. No, not possible. Diesel engines use high compression to auto-ignite the fuel/air mixture. The direct injection engines out now share a lot of the process used in a diesel, but they still are not strong enough to withstand the compression necessary for auto-ignition of diesel fuel.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: Private_Ops

Can Blazers be converted to run E85/gas? I'd love to run e85, be alot cheaper on me. Gas has hit $3.19 (the highest I've seen anyway) around my local area.
i did a research paper on E85 last yr and it is not that much cheaper than gas and u get worse gas milage. and like was mentioned it wrecks the engine and/or its components. E85 is not the way to go imo.

ORIGINAL: drperry
I don't think you can effectively convert a gasoline engine to diesel...
sry for making it sound that way i was talkin about dropping in a diesel engine and going from there

Quick Reply: Im keeping the Blazer now!