General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Intake @ 287k km's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intake @ 287k km's

Look how nice and clean she is, recently flushed out the dexcool for the green stuff. and what do you know, i blow the upper rad hose and intake starts leaking about 2 months later.

this was right after the intake was ripped off, no cleaning done yet. pretty good i think considering some pictures ive seen. also cleaned valve covers and new gaskets on those. replaced rotor($19 and 5 minutes) and she purrs nice now.

just for giggles. NAPA wanted $135 for just the oem intake gaskets. went to a mom/pop type place and got the full fel-pro kit (valve covers upper/lower intake and lots of o-rings) for $112 with tax.

good thing i shopped around

Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

Did you miss the big sticker under the hood that says to use the orange coolantin this truck? I use (speaking of not using orange) Prestone Universal for "standard" green or orange coolant vehicles. It's a daily driver. Had it about 10mos now with no cooling issues (even at 90MPH on the highway). Glad you were able to get yours back together.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:28 AM
BF Veteran

I doubt if i used the universal yellow I would have had better luck. and i'll stick with green for now on. Have never seen said sticker either, no. I dont care what people say about dexcool. when i had that stuff in there, ive replaced 95% of the cooling system (before the switch to green)

upper/lower rad hoses
heater core
radiator
water pump
and now the intake gaskets

always kept overflow full of the red demon crap too, still had problems.

cant get much worse than that....thanks GM

Old 01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

I have heard that orange stuff tends to collect debris and it settles in the lower parts of the cooling system (more so than the green). I should really get mine flushed soon. The truck is at nearly 170k and I don't know when it was done last. I could be driving a ticking bomb.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 AM
BF Veteran

another plus is that if anything else blows up, the green stuff smells much better and its cheaper

GM needs to take a hint that if something works good, dont screw with it.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Every car company out there needs to take that hint.