General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Jimmy 4dr standard tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 PM
SRIslash is on a distinguished road

So the aluminum assembly did have to come out in order to get my clutch pedal. But... once I discovered how easy the dash pops off it was a much easier task. The pedal could ‘pop’ into the assembly in its new home but I have read that a smart move is to use the bolt and bushings from the brake pedal (which came from donor truck) to run thru the clutch pivot. Factory used a sprung plastic bushing setup on the clutch pedal that has breakage issues so the brake hardware is a more solid fix.

So I now possess all my interior components (console,shifter, pedals) but can only find the S series NV3500 with close ratio for a donor trans. I am giving thought to a rebuilt one as I found some out of the states for $900 . Part of me would hate to install one with 200,000 miles on it and have it be rattling and poor shifting.
Anybody with any helpful thoughts?

thanks Shawn

Old 05-21-2019, 11:32 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

That sucks about having to take the bracket out. I was able to leave it in place and just snap the clutch pedal into it. I haven't had a problem with the plastic pieces breaking yet but I carry spares, just in case. If it turns out to be an issue, I'll probably end up making the same parts out of metal.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
That sucks about having to take the bracket out. I was able to leave it in place and just snap the clutch pedal into it. I haven't had a problem with the plastic pieces breaking yet but I carry spares, just in case. If it turns out to be an issue, I'll probably end up making the same parts out of metal.
Oh I could snap it into my vehicle easy enough. But removing it from donor meant I had to get the bracket off. I do tend to overbuild things generally so this brake hardware thing seems right up my alley, lol.

Tom, how old was your tranny when you swapped? And how is it? Still decent? Just wondering about mileage expectations.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I bought my Blazer with 291k miles on it and the transmission worked perfectly. So I seriously doubt it was original. Unfortunately, I don't really know much about its history.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
I bought my Blazer with 291k miles on it and the transmission worked perfectly. So I seriously doubt it was original. Unfortunately, I don't really know much about its history.
Ok well thanks. I’ll keep digging around. The wrecker only wants $100 for the Close ratio one they have(I pull it). Once out I could check it out. But with luck I’ll find a wide ratio.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Beginning Member
Pat8987 is on a distinguished road

I have decided to join in on the fray and try to swap a 5 speed as well into my 95. I have had a conversation with someone at the pick n pull who had successfully did this and said for the 98+ everything would work, but for the 95-97 I have to use a similar year clutch pedal assembly.
So gonna grab the slave cylinder and clutch assembly today or to.orrow in anticipation for the 50% sale they have! Pretty excited to do this

Old 05-22-2019, 03:22 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pat8987
So gonna grab the slave cylinder and clutch assembly today or to.orrow in anticipation for the 50% sale they have! Pretty excited to do this
Is pick n pull having a 50% off sale this weekend? I'm heading there Sunday in hopes of finding an astro/bravada shaft

Old 05-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Beginning Member
Pat8987 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Is pick n pull having a 50% off sale this weekend? I'm heading there Sunday in hopes of finding an astro/bravada shaft
Hell ya brother!
Go get some parts!!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pat8987
Hell ya brother!
Go get some parts!!
Sweet! Gonna try to grab a remote oil filter housing also. The mounting tabs are broke on mine, and it's held up with zip ties lol

/hijack

Old 06-22-2019, 09:08 PM

Well mine is coming along, slowly in my spare time but moving forward. I pulled everything out of my Jimmy, got the flywheel turned, and cleaned up the 5 speed. Now I just have to get the broken stud out of the exhaust manifold. I have it drilled for an easy out. Hopefully next weekend some heat will help.
anybody have a good wiring diagram for the tranny wires? I have a Chilton book but it is vague at best. Im ready to go to GM.

Quick Reply: Jimmy 4dr standard tranny swap