General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

All of us have started out as newbie's (except Kyle, I think he is a cyborg that was born with dual computer motherboards in his brain, the right side being a NAPA parts catalouge and the left being a Haynes repair manual, LMFAO). But most of us started with possibly a over asked question, and almost always a slightly stupid question now that we look back on it.

But I agree with AJBert on the fact of people asking very obvious questions. Such as "How do I lift my blazer's torsion bars." When there is a sticky thread titled "torsion bar how to." right above it in the lifted section. If they read the thread they wouldn't need to know where the bolt is or which way to turn it or anything like that. Now if you are really adding to the conversation, I would accept and welcome a responce like "My bolt won't turn, how can I resolve this?" or something like "I noticed the bolts are two diffrent lenths, why is this?" But 9-10 most people just come on here and ask the same question over and over.

When you go to a library, and you ask the librarian "where is the stephen king section?" And she points you in the right direction, you walk over and find it on your own. You don't look at them and say, "We'll I don't want to look for it, I want you to go get it for me!" Now if you go look and can't find a certain book or something like that, that is a follow up question that would be fine to ask. But when you don't even walk over to the section that is refered to you, the librarian might get a lil miffed at you.

Do you know how many people have posted on here that won't even go outside and look at thier own vehicle, they just expect someone to know what they have and how it works? People that think all blazers have coil springs up front. People that think lift and lowering blocks are two diffrently designed parts. If people won't even look under thier own vehicle to understand how something works, they surley won't search for anything. So off cource we get a little frustrated answering the SAME INDENTICAL questions.

Like others have said. We take time out of out personal lives to respond, do research, post links and pictures and do the best to help people on thier ownership of these vehicles. Yet some of these people don't even care enough to write back and tell us how it went. If you don't want to search for a solution to your question, don't want to look at your own vehicle to know what you have, and ask the same question as someone else just asked yesterday. You expect us not to get bothered by that? Yes, this is a library of opinions, and also of repair how to's and in general a gathering place of like minded people.

There will always be people that refuse to search for answers to repedative questions. But we hope that one day people will use our archives as a research base much like a library instead of just coming in and yelling at us librarians and wanting us to find everything for them. I personally enjoy looking through the vast amount of archive threads on here and learning things I never knew. Makes me feel better finding something on my own instead of having someone else do it for me.

But then agian I'm a simple country boy that was raised on the motto of "Don't ask for anything that you can get on your own." When you search for a answer, you have the opinion and results of many people that may contridict each other. If you just ask one person, you only get one opinion and result. And we all know that what works for one person might not work for everyone. Results may vary sorta thing. To sum this all up. I enjoy answering the repeat questions.

Such as the classic "torsion bar" questions. But when they ask where are the torsion bars, what do they look like, where are the bolts at, how many times do I turn it for how much lift, will adjusting the torsion bars raise the front and rear or just the front?... That shows me that this person is wanting someone to do it for them, they don't want help. I'll help people as long as they help themselevs. I won't carry someone however.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this statement, and my remorsefull apoligies if i step on anyones toes with the preceding statements.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
All of us have started out as newbie's (except Kyle, I think he is a cyborg that was born with dual computer motherboards in his brain, the right side being a NAPA parts catalouge and the left being a Haynes repair manual, LMFAO). But most of us started with possibly a over asked question, and almost always a slightly stupid question now that we look back on it.

But I agree with AJBert on the fact of people asking very obvious questions. Such as "How do I lift my blazer's torsion bars." When there is a sticky thread titled "torsion bar how to." right above it in the lifted section. If they read the thread they wouldn't need to know where the bolt is or which way to turn it or anything like that. Now if you are really adding to the conversation, I would accept and welcome a responce like "My bolt won't turn, how can I resolve this?" or something like "I noticed the bolts are two diffrent lenths, why is this?" But 9-10 most people just come on here and ask the same question over and over.

When you go to a library, and you ask the librarian "where is the stephen king section?" And she points you in the right direction, you walk over and find it on your own. You don't look at them and say, "We'll I don't want to look for it, I want you to go get it for me!" Now if you go look and can't find a certain book or something like that, that is a follow up question that would be fine to ask. But when you don't even walk over to the section that is refered to you, the librarian might get a lil miffed at you.

Do you know how many people have posted on here that won't even go outside and look at thier own vehicle, they just expect someone to know what they have and how it works? People that think all blazers have coil springs up front. People that think lift and lowering blocks are two diffrently designed parts. If people won't even look under thier own vehicle to understand how something works, they surley won't search for anything. So off cource we get a little frustrated answering the SAME INDENTICAL questions.

Like others have said. We take time out of out personal lives to respond, do research, post links and pictures and do the best to help people on thier ownership of these vehicles. Yet some of these people don't even care enough to write back and tell us how it went. If you don't want to search for a solution to your question, don't want to look at your own vehicle to know what you have, and ask the same question as someone else just asked yesterday. You expect us not to get bothered by that? Yes, this is a library of opinions, and also of repair how to's and in general a gathering place of like minded people.

There will always be people that refuse to search for answers to repedative questions. But we hope that one day people will use our archives as a research base much like a library instead of just coming in and yelling at us librarians and wanting us to find everything for them. I personally enjoy looking through the vast amount of archive threads on here and learning things I never knew. Makes me feel better finding something on my own instead of having someone else do it for me.

But then agian I'm a simple country boy that was raised on the motto of "Don't ask for anything that you can get on your own." When you search for a answer, you have the opinion and results of many people that may contridict each other. If you just ask one person, you only get one opinion and result. And we all know that what works for one person might not work for everyone. Results may vary sorta thing. To sum this all up. I enjoy answering the repeat questions.

Such as the classic "torsion bar" questions. But when they ask where are the torsion bars, what do they look like, where are the bolts at, how many times do I turn it for how much lift, will adjusting the torsion bars raise the front and rear or just the front?... That shows me that this person is wanting someone to do it for them, they don't want help. I'll help people as long as they help themselevs. I won't carry someone however.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this statement, and my remorsefull apoligies if i step on anyones toes with the preceding statements.
Bravo! My grandpa used to tell me that when I was growing up. Everything that has been said by the veteran members sums up pretty much everything I was thinking. The lack of using a search feature for the questions like "Can I run dual exhaust?", "How do I lift my Blazer?", etc., just makes me think that most of the newer members are young kids who haven't learned of forum etiquette or the search feature. Especially the dual exhaust question. How hard is it to get under there and look for yourself?

/end rant

Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Phil
Bravo! My grandpa used to tell me that when I was growing up. Everything that has been said by the veteran members sums up pretty much everything I was thinking. The lack of using a search feature for the questions like "Can I run dual exhaust?", "How do I lift my Blazer?", etc., just makes me think that most of the newer members are young kids who haven't learned of forum etiquette or the search feature. Especially the dual exhaust question. How hard is it to get under there and look for yourself?

/end rant
All I'll end up doing is reiterating what has been said before.
Their are some topics here that are asked literally every other day. It's not exactly difficult to search.
It's like getting asked where the bathroom is at work everyday when there is a sign hanging right above you pointing to them.
The answer is right in front of, or 2 feet above you.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

well said Joshua, Phil & Matt.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

The dual exhaust question was asked within a few hours of me posting! Hahahahaha!