General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Looking For Some Helpfull Guidence!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:02 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking For Some Helpfull Guidence!!

[font="courier new"][size=2]Here the deal as many of you already know I have some pretty big plans for my 99 Blazer 4x4. Currently its tan with tan interior. Its an LS although its pretty well equipped.
First off I am well aware of what is listed below and yes I am aware of the cost of undertaking a project like this. I am NOT a millionare (I Wish) but I am not. I am currently in school an only have a few weeks left. I am going to take a break and work full time for a while and build my savings back up. I am going to be taking what I call baby steps and little by little as I can afford to purchase additional parts I will add more mods. I also am well aware that there are things that will have to wait awhile due to cost and the fact that it cannot be done until other things are finished. It will also be done in phases. The reason I listed pretty much everything is so that you can make a desicion based off everything maybe this will help steer me in the right direction if you guys think I am making a mistake with something. I have no problem with acception constructive critsism(No Bashing Please) I am working very hard to make myself proud of my truck.

Phase 1 (Strictly checking the rig over and fixing things that have to be fixed before other things can be done.

*Rebuild transmission (I know it slips and needs attention, when rebuilt it will have a B&M shift kit).
*Replace ball joints (A couple in the front are shot)
*Replace CV shaft Boots and seals (Seals leak, I will also inspect the shafts for damage and replace as needed).
*Check entire front end for wear and replace pieces as necessary.
*Possibly change front and rear gears to 3.73 but I am not sold on the idea I think the stock 3.42s will due (inspect axles).
*Inspect engine and rebuild if necessary.

Phase 2
*2” Body Lift
*Torsion bars sag (may replace)
*Transfer case makes a little noise (with mileage may rebuild).
*Might replace radiator (had to fix once, cheap insurance)
*Every hose will be replaced
*Tires will be 30"x 9.5" to a 33" tire but due other factors list below I am unsure but I have it narrowed down to either a BFG AT, BFG MT or a Cooper STT. I looked at a BFG AT that I think was 235/75R15 and I am hoping that a 30" plus would have a deeper tread.

Phase 3
*Replace stock exhaust manifolds with tubular short style headers (emissions legal)
*Install a high-flow cat
*Change exhaust as I am not real happy with Flowmaster and I think Magnaflow sounds better.
*Throttle Body Upgrade (as to size and if its something I am even going to do I don’t know.
*Mass Airwill be swapped for a better performance unit.
*CAI w/ K&N Filter
*ECU programmer (Hypertech, Superchips or other) Suggestions?
*Clean up the rust on the underside and clean up driveshafts.

Phase 4
*Do light body work doesn’t need much as there are only two (very tiny spots of rust.
*Paint entire body Copperhead Metallic
*Install body color 2000-up grill.
*Install a roof rack mount for a spare tire (undecided and not really sure yet.
*Fabricate a set of front and rear steel bumpers (if I can’t find them to just buy).
*Install fog lights and backup lights current factory backup lights suck.
*Tubular Mounts for front and rear shackles, if not mounted on the bumpers.
*Towing hitch
*Trans cooler (although sitting here thinking it will probably be done in phase 1.
*Skid Plates Currently steel one is in front already and plates will be made for transmission transfer case and gas tank. All painted body color.
*Edit I think I will use diamond plate for the front and steel everywhere else. Same above though powder coated body color.
Last phase interior
*All interior will be black (I hate the tan color.
*Seats will be re-upholstered in black leather with two horse shoes in orange in the head rest part.
*I have changed my mind the dash will be totally black except for the vents that will be body

Old 09-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Looking For Some Helpfull Guidence!!

sounds like it will be a heck of a truck!!!! good luck man!

Old 09-29-2007, 12:42 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, my 2 cents:
Phase 1 - I would leave the rear axle ratio alone. Rebuild the engine only if it really needs it.
Phase 2 - Okay
Phase 3 - Leave the stock MAF, no real benefit from changing it. Throttle body, same story.
Phase 4 - Steel bumpers, why? If you do good ones, it's a lot of extra weight.
Last Phase - It's all personal choice and money.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:04 PM

The reason I mentioned the steel bumpers is because I can make a strongmount for a winch. I was also think I could add a tubular protecting guard for the headlights. I have looked at some other and I am currently looking at 4 wheel parts.com for a tubular set up for a winch and fog lights.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:35 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

more power to you, good luck

Old 09-29-2007, 08:46 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

that sounds like it will be a pretty nice truck. as for a winch, on synergy offroad it says there are hidden winch mounts (like Jiggs) coming soon
http://www.shop.synergyoffroad.com/main.sc

and the bfg website lists all of the tread depths for the all-terrains and it looks like they're all 16/32 or 17/32 inches deep
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...t-a-ko/44.html

Old 09-29-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks I appreciate the links. Check out these bumpers.
https://blazerforum.com/m_98340/mpag..._/tm.htm#98383
Thisis what I was going for althoughI do kinda like the ones in the link you up. LikeI said though itwillbe a slow process and will probably be christmas or later before I finalize the damn game plan andquit changing things so until then Iam simply floating ideas by you guys and gathering opinions and advice,thatswhy I posted this. Thank you foryour input. Zach