General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Maintenance/Shop advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Zxypher is on a distinguished road
Default Maintenance/Shop advice?

Morning everyone, was just making a quick post to ask for some opinions here from all you guru's.

I really need to get my Blazer a tune-up (2002 4x4 4 Door.) but it's so darn hot here (AZ) that I want to take it to a shop. Now this is my first time ever taking a vehicle to a shop for work. So my question is, what is a reasonable price range to expect for a tune-up and what all *should* they be covering with it?

To me a tune-up is: Plugs, Wires, Filters, Fluids and a general diagnostics/look over.

Thanks for your time!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A tune-up *should* cover plugs, wires, cap, & rotor. Using AC Delco parts, the parts alone would run you in the $120-$150 range before the shop marks up the cost and you'd be paying for 2-3 hrs labor at whatever the shop rate is.

Fluids & filters will be at your discretion and would likely be a flat rate price for each area (engine, transmission, differential front & rear, etc).

IMO, wake up some morning at the butt-crack of dawn and get to work!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. I thought about doing it myself but even at 5am it's still 95 degrees out and humid (recently anyways.) Plus my job has me working at odd hours.

If I did manage to find the time to do it myself is there a Tips & Tricks post for doing the plugs & such? At a glance they look like a royal pita to change. (I've got fat hands.)

Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tech Article (DIY) section to the rescue! Check the index link in my signature below.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Awesome! Thanks again, you're my new hero.