General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

My 14FF has been located!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by punx.inc
sweet jesus. i think i speak for everyone when i say, damn you, you lucky bastard lol. its amazing how great of deals you can get with some patience and snooping.

Ditto. Must have been a traveling merchant in a former life...or a tinker. lol

Old 05-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And the 14FF is in the shop! Dad had his new backhoe home today. I shot up to the shale pit with it and snagged the axle out of the weeds.

Everything looks good inside. I was able to get one drum freed up with some tender tapping with a 5lb hammer. The one that was down in the dirt for ~13 years did not budge. I will have to get in there and flush out the brake area with some water to get the mud out, then see about adjusting the shoes in to get the drum off.

There was some rust on the ring gear though. Not too sure what I am going to attempt with that...

Here are the pictures...

Yeah, its in there... Under a few telephone poles which it slipped off of over the years:

Back at the shop where I could open it up and take a look at things:

10 41 as it reads on the ring gear:

Rusty ring gear... I am inclined to see how it wears in after I clean it up and then use it a bit..

Oh yeah, here's the best part (besides being free), 42.5" center to center on the spring perches. Exactly what is needed for my K5!! If I had 4.10's in the front axle, I would be bolting this thing up!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member
collin_k5_blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

That is indeed a good find... wouldn't it be a good idea to run 4.10 gears anyways since you are going with bigger tires???

Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My truck runs perfectly fine with the 33's and 3.73's. My thoughts are that if I had to replace the gears in the 14FF, I would just get 3.73's so I do not have to replace the ones in my front diff until I really wanted to. That might be changing though since I have found a set of used 4.10 gears for the 14FF for $40 and pretty sure I have a 4.10 D44 w/ 8-lug outers that I am snagging for $50. Same guy has a NP205 I am getting for $50 as well! LOL

Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Beginning Member
madmike is on a distinguished road

50 here 50 there lol good deals man gl on the set up

Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Administrator

What I am getting for that price, $50 is a steal! LOL