General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Need input from seasoned Blazoneers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 PM
ItsARedOne is on a distinguished road
Default Need input from seasoned Blazoneers

I'm looking to buy my own very first car after driving mommy and daddy's cars.
I've found a 2001 Blazer Ls 4wd 4dr with 103k miles for 3k. It's in GREAT shape.
The guys says he's replaced the fuel pump, radiator, brakes, and a few other things i can't remember. Me and my father (a former mechanic) went and checked it out and he approves of it.
My problem is that, now that it would be MY vehicle, I'm going to have to pay for all of the maintenance. So I want to know what I would be getting myself into for buying this truck.
I've heard that they can be really great and reliable vehicles if you baby the hell out of them by the people on this forum. While on Edmonds and KBB nearly every review is someone claiming what a p.o.s. their's has been. I know that there are many people that don't know the first thing about caring for a vehicle, and am hoping that they're the ones that are doing the negative posting. So i'm wondering what you all would qualify as "babying."

My father and I perform regular maintenance on our 2002 Grand Prix SE (140k miles) and our 2004 Silverado LS (100k miles). If there's an issue, we assess it. And so far, we've only had minor problems with the vehicles. But nothing worse than a blown head gasket on the Grand Prix at 105k miles.
Should I expect any more than this?

Also, with me being a full time student, i'm not necessarily making the "big bucks." Any estimate of an annual/per X miles maintenance fee would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

You always hear the storys of sour grapes never the sweet ones! Also keep in mind there are more troubles with 4wd than 2wd just because its more stuff and more weight.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Yeah ive heard that the 4wd tends to go out. But I dont really plan on doing any offroading at the time. The only time i think i'd really even use the 4wd would be in the snow.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Which here in Missouri we only get 2 or 3 major snowfalls per year

Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

The Blazers may be a bit more labour intensive, but not by much. There were a lot of them made, and they are getting old now, so there are going to be a lot of bad stories. That said, most only have routine maintenance issues, and are cheap to fix. My '96 has been great, only average about $200 a year at most on maintenance

Old 01-18-2014, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Since there is mechanical background in your family.. I'd say go for it.

its like anything else really, the reason there are more negative reviews online than positive, is because people get mad, and go online to say that they are mad, when someone is happy with something, they are less inclined to go on and praise such item.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Wow thats great thanks for the input, definately lightened my outlook.