General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Need some opinions here. All welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 PM
sojo is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Need some opinions here. All welcome!

Hi everyone!
I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer LT 4WD that's got skid plates and other 4WD stuff like a oil filter on the front etc that it came with when first owner bought it from Chevy dealer.
I'm in a dilemma or whether to keep/fix it or not because, well frankly, as I've worked on it over the years it seems to be an over-engineered piece of crap compared to other vehicles I've worked on on the past but.....and this is the bit but.....
I was TOTALLY impressed how well it performed off-roading when I visited the desert a few months ago. Even with street tires. I want to have a 4WD vehicle.
But,

The used engine I had put in to replace the coolant/warped-head one has a horrible oil leak and the #3 cylinder on it is also not firing like the warped head did as a symptom on the first engine. I will need the engine replaced again most likely.

The back wiper is broke.

The blender door actuator is broke (I have bought a replacement gear for it but not put it in yet)

There may be more vacuum tubing I will have to replace as most of it I have already done so because it disintegrated.

The AC needs repaired again. (not actuator door related)

I can't turn the headlights off using the dash controls when engine is on.

The pot metal spline they used to attach the passenger seat tilt lever has snapped right off.

It's probably due for a transmission rebuild as 179K now on odometer.

I will just say "etc." here because I would be typing all night.

Thing is, the wife likes it. She likes the heated leather seats and all.
I like the 4wd ability and the 5 ton towing capability. I also like the fact that it has long been paid off and in spite of its many problems it still runs.
I also think I could fix most of the problems for much much cheaper than buying a new vehicle, even replacing the engine and transmission.
But.....another big but, it seems Chevy is really good at planned obsolescent engineering. I don't know what else will break.

Is the whole vehicle engineered to fall apart totally?
How long will the rear end last?
Catalytic converter?
Can any of the computerized stuff be bypassed?
Are there better years of 4WDs to look at that are much cheaper to buy and fix?
Are there better engine/transmission choices for this vehicle?
Questions questions.

That where I need the advice of a blazer fan. If YOUR vehicles have had my problems then I know its a labor of love and you will know the personality of these things. I really need to know if its worth fixing all this versus just replacing it.

Looking forward to any advice no matter how said. Thanks

Old 04-13-2016, 10:37 PM
TxTurtle is on a distinguished road

I can't say one way or another for your situation, but I enjoy driving mine despite it's quirks. I'm about to put a spider injection assembly in it. Just had to buy a new batter for it an hour ago. Didn't think the old one would live long after replacing the ailing alternator about 2 months ago. Changing the #3 spark plug is a less than enjoyable task to put it mildly, replaced most of the pulleys chasing a friggin squeaky pulley, removed the a/c compressor in that little adventure as well & replaced it with a bypass pulley. Turns out that they are just **** retentive about having the best belts money can buy. LOL
Doesn't have very big ***** jumping off the line, but good enough. It needs other work, but not anymore than most vehicles it's age is on the verge of requiring. I paid too much for it when I bought it, but I needed a bigger vehicle than my old Toyota Celica for hauling myself & 2 kids in it. Wife want's me to get rid of it, but I don't want to. Paid cash for it, so it's free & clear & I can fix it cheaper than I can buy a new one. If I'm going somewhere, I'll grab the keys for this before I grab the keys to the 09 Yukon.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

It's really a matter of whether or not you want to put a few dollars and some time into it or not. Any 17 year old vehicle will need some sort of maintenance. Personally I'll keep mine forever but I've got a lot of money that I could never recover by selling into it.

Also please check your towing capacity your about double actual capacity at 5 tons!

Old 04-14-2016, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by TxTurtle
I can't say one way or another for your situation, but I enjoy driving mine despite it's quirks. I'm about to put a spider injection assembly in it. Just had to buy a new batter for it an hour ago. Didn't think the old one would live long after replacing the ailing alternator about 2 months ago. Changing the #3 spark plug is a less than enjoyable task to put it mildly, replaced most of the pulleys chasing a friggin squeaky pulley, removed the a/c compressor in that little adventure as well & replaced it with a bypass pulley. Turns out that they are just **** retentive about having the best belts money can buy. LOL
Doesn't have very big ***** jumping off the line, but good enough. It needs other work, but not anymore than most vehicles it's age is on the verge of requiring. I paid too much for it when I bought it, but I needed a bigger vehicle than my old Toyota Celica for hauling myself & 2 kids in it. Wife want's me to get rid of it, but I don't want to. Paid cash for it, so it's free & clear & I can fix it cheaper than I can buy a new one. If I'm going somewhere, I'll grab the keys for this before I grab the keys to the 09 Yukon.
Thanks TxTurtle.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
It's really a matter of whether or not you want to put a few dollars and some time into it or not. Any 17 year old vehicle will need some sort of maintenance. Personally I'll keep mine forever but I've got a lot of money that I could never recover by selling into it.

Also please check your towing capacity your about double actual capacity at 5 tons!
Thanks rexmburns! Also thanks on the correction. I meant to say 5k pounds (actually 5.5k) not 5 tons but now I can be more careful lol